Builds Steve's HDJ81 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you get in a fender bender Steve ?

Well something like that.

Ok, here's the update. I had the truck sitting my shop most of 2020. Nothing major, just buttoning up a few pet peeves and dialing in some bits. Did a new hot water exchanger after the helton system froze and cracked, refurb'd the consoles, and added a couple more power outlets to the outside of the truck. Also fixed a few leaks and some maintenance items that I'd been putting off. I finally got it all setup and started daily'ing it again on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. On my way into the shop that Wednesday, a dude in a dually pickup blew out in front of me and this was the result:

127824396_386067512710549_9213675002005745492_n.jpg

No one was injured although it took me a few weeks to stop aching from the impact. I was more emotionally devastated than anything else.

If anyone ever tells you that you can't lock up the brakes on their 80...

IMG_5053.JPG

From the get-go it was clear that the other driver was at fault, and his insurance company took responsibility. After they did an appraisal, they committed to rebuilding the truck. This sucks because it'll never be what it was before, but I've had to come to terms with "looks same, works same" as my best outcome. The ARB bumper absorbed a lot of the impact.

IMG_6466.JPG

Front of the frame was trashed and there was a buckle behind the passenger motor mount. Luckily, I know a guy...me. I had a matching parts truck. So the body shop has been using it to finish a full frame swap. Still in progress...

157350187_255235079616181_7391593383052347373_n.jpg

Well something like that.

Ok, here's the update. I had the truck sitting my shop most of 2020. Nothing major, just buttoning up a few pet peeves and dialing in some bits. Did a new hot water exchanger after the helton system froze and cracked, refurb'd the consoles, and added a couple more power outlets to the outside of the truck. Also fixed a few leaks and some maintenance items that I'd been putting off. I finally got it all setup and started daily'ing it again on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. On my way into the shop that Wednesday, a dude in a dually pickup blew out in front of me and this was the result:

No one was injured although it took me a few weeks to stop aching from the impact. I was more emotionally devastated than anything else.

If anyone ever tells you that you can't lock up the brakes on their 80...

From the get-go it was clear that the other driver was at fault, and his insurance company took responsibility. After they did an appraisal, they committed to rebuilding the truck. This sucks because it'll never be what it was before, but I've had to come to terms with "looks same, works same" as my best outcome. The ARB bumper absorbed a lot of the impact.

Front of the frame was trashed and there was a buckle behind the passenger motor mount. Luckily, I know a guy...me. I had a matching parts truck. So the body shop has been using it to finish a full frame swap. Still in progress...
Oh man, that sucks! At least you've got the parts truck to work with, but I feel for you all the same. I've lost an HDJ81 before, I can relate.

Ahhhh just re-read this thread ( must have done it 20+ times) already but just love reading about the build and more.

Bummer about the accident and glad your ok

fun part is you got another frame and you know how to do all that man cave stuff LOL.
Enjoy the build and keep us all posted on the build and upload lots of pictures!

I hope you charged the insurance company a ass-ton for the replacement frame. Haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom