Steering Shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After doing this three times now, I've learned that I don't even have to take the entire assembly out. You can take the top half of it off and slide the shaft out.

I've also learned that once the shaft goes through what the master techs call break in period, the clunk will eventually come back, just much more subtle. Let me know if that happens to you.

After doing this three times now, I've learned that I don't even have to take the entire assembly out. You can take the top half of it off and slide the shaft out.

I've also learned that once the shaft goes through what the master techs call break in period, the clunk will eventually come back, just much more subtle. Let me know if that happens to you.

did your clunk in steering come back?

this addresses the clunking feeling when off roading right? every time i'm off pavement this clunking jiggling drives me crazy

did your clunk in steering come back?

this addresses the clunking feeling when off roading right? every time i'm off pavement this clunking jiggling drives me crazy
This is only one place where a ‘clunk’ could come from, but it’s easy to diagnose. If you reach under your dash and feel the steering shaft while you jiggle the steering wheel, there should be no play between the two. The shaft should mimic the steering wheel movements exactly. If not, then you have play in the steering shaft’s slip joint and it should be replaced.

Do this test when the car is off so the power steering isn’t running, it makes it easier to feel for any play.

This is only one place where a ‘clunk’ could come from, but it’s easy to diagnose. If you reach under your dash and feel the steering shaft while you jiggle the steering wheel, there should be no play between the two. The shaft should mimic the steering wheel movements exactly. If not, then you have play in the steering shaft’s slip joint and it should be replaced.

Do this test when the car is off so the power steering isn’t running, it makes it easier to feel for any play.
just went to check. the shaft rotates with the steering wheel but there is a "clicking" like sound and i can feel it in the shaft. Is that what I'm looking for?

I think @Rolocado also replaced an additional part as well.

I had already replaced steering rack and bushings 2 years ago.

My U-joint didn't have any play, although I replaced it beforehand and ended up not needing to. The slip joint where the telescoping shaft is is where the play is. You can only feel it if you press up and down grabbing the shaft above the U-joint.

Has nothing to do with steering rack or bushings, i know because I replaced those too thinking it was the problem...

Anyway the clunk ended up coming back. Pain in the ass and lousy design from my perspective.

My U-joint didn't have any play, although I replaced it beforehand and ended up not needing to. The slip joint where the telescoping shaft is is where the play is. You can only feel it if you press up and down grabbing the shaft above the U-joint.

Has nothing to do with steering rack or bushings, i know because I replaced those too thinking it was the problem...

Anyway the clunk ended up coming back. Pain in the ass and lousy design from my perspective.
back already? wow...
which does my issue sound like?

You said you feel it in the shaft... you can disconnect the shaft from the U-joint and wiggle it on it's own to make sure. If you do disconnect make sure you're steering wheel is perfectly straight otherwise when you reconnect you might get a spline or two off

I have the manual tilt steering in my 2002 LC, when I took out the bolts to replace these bushing, there was nothing in that hole. My symptom is when I hit small bumps or irregularities, especially off road, my steering wheel gets really "loose" and "clunkey" like a knock sound while it quickly moves left to right in small increments. Steering shaft is new, steering rack and bushings are new, all control arms and tie rods are new. I'm surprised there is no bushing here, not sure why. I may try to wrap those bolts to take up the slack and see if that solves it.

1614014534952.png

Last edited:
I have the manual tilt steering in my 2002 LC, when I took out the bolts to replace these bushing, there was nothing in that hole. My symptom is when I hit small bumps or irregularities, especially off road, my steering wheel gets really "loose" and "clunkey" like a knock sound while it quickly moves left to right in small increments. Steering shaft is new, steering rack and bushings are new, all control arms and tie rods are new. I'm surprised there is no bushing here, not sure why. I may try to wrap those bolts to take up the slack and see if that solves it.

View attachment 2593070

The clunk sound comes from the play that develops where the steering shaft can collapse in an accident. it's a different material that over time wears down and when you have the shaft on the bench, can wiggle ever so slightly

The clunk sound comes from the play that develops where the steering shaft can collapse in an accident. it's a different material that over time wears down and when you have the shaft on the bench, can wiggle ever so slightly

I just replaced the shaft assembly and the same day on a test drive, it felt exactly the same as before.

This is what the bushing looks like, this picture is from someone with power tilt though. Can anyone confirm your manual tilt has these bushing, that mine might be missing?
1614015317962.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom