Steering rub..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I turn my wheel, just slightly, low speed, does it with brake on and off, I feel a slight vibration or feedback into the steering wheel. It almost feels like the power steering fluid is low, but it is not.....feels like the sensation when you have your wheels turned all the way left or right, but it does it when I barely have my wheel turned. It is odd.

Hope I have described it well....tough to describe. Has anyone else had this?

The truck is a '96 with 135k....very little off road time.

Hmmm.
May not be the same thing, but my steering has this very slight rubbing noise (almost like a very faint baby's cry). This occurs at low speed, slow and small wheel turns from the centered position.

My wife's RX300 has almost the exact same noise. Doesn't seem like a big deal, and there's no corresponding feel of anything rubbing.

LT
8)

TC -
I guess it's just you and me, kid. I always kind of thought the little rubbing noise came from the vinyl of the steering wheel/airbag cover rubbing against the vinyl or plastic of the steering column housing right behind the wheel.

I wedged an ArmorAll handi-wipe down in there and worked it back and forth a little, but all that did was make the faint noise sound slightly clearer.

If anybody else has this sound in their steering, or any idea if this is worth pursuing, let us know..

thanks

LT
8)

Ok, I think I've got that sound too. Happens only on cold mornings, and only the first or second time I turn to the left. Sounds like a little dove, just a faint "Hooo" and it's done. Mine sounds like it's coming from the steering column in the engine bay, I tried spraying down that little U-Joint but it didn't make much difference. Totally forgot about it this summer, but the other day I parked outside overnight and heard it again.

You are probably hearing the "clockspring" or "spiral cable" inside the steering column. That is the device that contains the electrical connections for the airbag. It coils and uncoils as the steering wheel rotates.

D-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom