Steering reservoir cap leak / seeping through reservoir? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I noticed the other week I could smell some oil/fluid on the passenger side of my engine only right when you cut off the engine. I noticed the power steering lines were slowly leaking. So I replaced the 5/8 and 3/8 return feed lines and cleaned the reservoir out.

I cleaned up the fender well and mount also when doing the hose swap.

Yesterday I noticed I needed to top off the fluid from my initial burping of the steering lines and I noticed a lite film again of oil on the reservoir and the fender liner. So i cleaned it off again. Today I drove 500 miles for work and noticed the slight film on the reservoir and some on the air box and fender.

I am thinking it’s the cap just misting out oil?

E8273634-0BB6-49D9-AB2A-9CF3C07FE85F.jpeg
BFEFEC3A-6A33-4481-9112-E5D84D5A3404.jpeg

Check your high pressure P/S hose. The cooling fan will blow a film of fluid everywhere. In this case, OE is quite pricey... but others have had good experiences with aftermarket.

Check your high pressure P/S hose. The cooling fan will blow a film of fluid everywhere. In this case, OE is quite pricey... but others have had good experiences with aftermarket.
I'll check, but i think more would be oily compared if the fan was blowing it, the side of the airbox in the way doesn't have a film on it. And the idle air valve doesnt have oil on it.

If you think it is the cap, then clean up the reservoir and cap and wrap it with Saran Wrap... then watch for oil residue on inside or outside.

If you think it is the cap, then clean up the reservoir and cap and wrap it with Saran Wrap... then watch for oil residue on inside or outside.
Good idea, i cleaned up and wrapped the reservoir in press and seal wrap.

I also pulled the air box and cleaned under that as i know i got atf under there when swapping out the hoses and it was dirty dirty. So maybe it was excess atf under the air box being pushed around by the fan.

any luck? Did you rule out that it was the cap? I am having a similar issue, cleaned everything and tightened clamps, then noticed a fine layer of oil on the hoses after a 300 mi drive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom