Steering joint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im pretty sure there are no tech questions that have not already been answered here but I read the tech links, FAQ and used the search function extensively and still couldnt find the answer, so here goes...

Back to working on my Scout PS install on my 71' 40 and am down to figuring out the ujoint.

I have the collapsible steering shaft from a non-descript Chevy truck with a rag joint that mates to my Scout box. The end of the Chevy shaft doesnt have a ujoint as others have described in the tech links. I know the ujoint needs a 3/4" smooth bore on one end to mate to the LC steering column and Im thinking I will weld this on permanently. I want to be able to take the steering apart if the need arises so I dont want to weld the other end to the Chevy shaft. Do I cut the inch or so round end off the Chevy shaft so I can use the DD portion of the shaft or go with 3/4" smooth bore on both ends? Seems using the DD shaft would be a better route since Im only using the set screw here.

Thanks,
Blake

Are you saying you are going to use a joint on the LC shaft at the firewall? Most people usa Flaming River or Borgenson(?) joint. They are not cheap but they are strong. They are avalabe with DD or roud shafts.

I am gathering parts for the same conversion. THe shaft I pulled had the U-joint. But I also "got" a flaming river U joint.

Are you saying you are going to use a joint on the LC shaft at the firewall? Most people usa Flaming River or Borgenson(?) joint. They are not cheap but they are strong. They are avalabe with DD or roud shafts.

Exactly, Im going with Flaming Riverjoint but not sure what configuration. The end of the chevy slip shaft is round for the first 1.5" then the remainder is DD, so I have an option for the joint end. Which connection, smooth or DD, is better if I dont want to weld this side of the joint, DD I assume? Want to stay off the scary steering page.;)

Blake

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom