Steering dampers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
If you're still using a steering damper (stabilizer) and replace it, DO NOT use anything but an OEM Toyota damper. The Rancho I was running took a dump several days ago so in a pinch I threw on a Monroe that said it was specific to the vehicle, and now my radius when I make a left turn is twice what it used to be. The damned POS doesn't extend far enough to allow full steering travel :mad:

There was $60 down the s***ter, and since I've already installed it I can't return it. So now I'm stuck using that while I wait to get one on order from CDan.

Hmm, funny you should mention this because I just replaced mine too. I got a Monroe also. I chose it because I'm not ready to do that whole Old Man Emu just yet so it was cheap enough and I replaced it.

I don't have the same problem. Could it be the one you got is defective?

So how far does it actually travel?

So how far does it actually travel?

I didn't measure, though I probably should. I looked up the right P/N on the computer there, verified that was the number on the one I got, and popped it on to the stock mounts. Right turns are okay, but no joy on the left turns.

JLH911, I doubt it, but I wonder how likely it is that the part itself may have been mislabeled. I've gotten the wrong part in the right box before, so I'm in the habit of looking on the part itself to verify that it's correct.

Got one from Napa (not sure of the Mfg) and had the same problem. I think their computer P/N for the FJ60 is wrong. Took it back and they replaced it with one that worked.

Last edited:
Got one from Napa (not sure of the Mfg) and had the same problem. I think there computer P/N for the FJ60 is wrong. Took it back and they replaced it with one that worked.

Does it use the factory mounting points? Remember the P/N?

It had the factory mounting points. Don't remember the P/N's it was a few years ago, but I had the exact same problem. My napa guy took it back and gave me one that had full travel. That's all I remember.

I guess I didn't read your first post clear. What I had was It would turn all the way to the stop to the right but the dampner would bottom out before it hit the stop on the left. If a new dampner gives you more travel then you had before your steering must not of been making it to the stops. As far as I know your steering travel should go from stop to stop and not be limited or enhanced by a steering dampner.

I guess I didn't read your first post clear. What I had was It would turn all the way to the stop to the right but the dampner would bottom out before it hit the stop on the left. If a new dampner gives you more travel then you had before your steering must not of been making it to the stops. As far as I know your steering travel should go from stop to stop and not be limited or enhanced by a steering dampner.

Yeah I was able to go stop to stop beforehand, and I can still make a full right turn, but just like what happened with you, my left turns are greatly limited. I'll have to take the dampener over to NAPA today and see if I can get one with more travel.

Got one from Napa (not sure of the Mfg) and had the same problem. I think there computer P/N for the FJ60 is wrong. Took it back and they replaced it with one that worked.

Do you guys have the part number for the one from NAPA? I got mine from there and would like to know so I can remove it if it's not the right one.

I used OME (Old Man Emu), no problems, even transfered it to my 80.:steer:

OME: The last time I checked, the OME was a few bucks cheaper than C-Dan's price for OEM for that item.

checked my turning radius and it's the same as before. Goes stop-to-stop.

If I may chime in here, I am not a fan of the dampener being mounted between the drag link and the frame. This subjects most of your steering gear to shock and punishment and the angle changes, stressing the mounts and bushings when lifed or articulating. If the stabilizer is mounted in the CORRECT location, (Ok that is a subjective opinion) between the axle housing and the tie rod, you are closer to the source of the shock, your drag ling is spared most of it and the angle between the axle tube and the tie rod will never change. Then you have all sorts of options for the stabilizer and dimentions aren't nearly so important since you can clamp it on in limitless ways.

If I may chime in here, I am not a fan of the dampener being mounted between the drag link and the frame. This subjects most of your steering gear to shock and punishment and the angle changes, stressing the mounts and bushings when lifed or articulating. If the stabilizer is mounted in the CORRECT location, (Ok that is a subjective opinion) between the axle housing and the tie rod, you are closer to the source of the shock, your drag ling is spared most of it and the angle between the axle tube and the tie rod will never change. Then you have all sorts of options for the stabilizer and dimentions aren't nearly so important since you can clamp it on in limitless ways.

That was how I had the Rancho mounted. I didn't like the bolt-on brackets, but I suppose welding up a mount system to better align the whole setup wouldn't be a bad way to go. Then I'd be halfway there when it came time to convert to ram assist.

Or just go hydro assist...

Spook you are correct...the Rancho is horrible and the Monroe will not get you out of the driveway but the OME is great
If you're still using a steering damper (stabilizer) and replace it, DO NOT use anything but an OEM Toyota damper. The Rancho I was running took a dump several days ago so in a pinch I threw on a Monroe that said it was specific to the vehicle, and now my radius when I make a left turn is twice what it used to be. The damned POS doesn't extend far enough to allow full steering travel :mad:

There was $60 down the s***ter, and since I've already installed it I can't return it. So now I'm stuck using that while I wait to get one on order from CDan.

Spook you are correct...the Rancho is horrible and the Monroe will not get you out of the driveway but the OME is great

No joke. I managed to get an almost new looking OEM one from the junkyard yesterday, and it dampens vibrations even better than the new Monroe did (no surprise there). Looks like the owner had put it on not long before he wrecked too, so it's not all beat up yet :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom