Steering column cover. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick one for anyone who has replaced the problematic steering column cover. There are two main bolts that actually hold the upper and lower shells together. They are inserted into slots on the bottom shell and screw into plastic posts hanging down from the top half. However, the posts hanging down from the upper shell don't seem to be threaded on the new one that I ordered. Is the design such that you are supposed to just turn the screws into the posts and create the threads by doing so?

I hope the question makes sense, it's a little hard to explain.

Quick one for anyone who has replaced the problematic steering column cover. There are two main bolts that actually hold the upper and lower shells together. They are inserted into slots on the bottom shell and screw into plastic posts hanging down from the top half. However, the posts hanging down from the upper shell don't seem to be threaded on the new one that I ordered. Is the design such that you are supposed to just turn the screws into the posts and create the threads by doing so?

I hope the question makes sense, it's a little hard to explain.

As I recall they are not threaded. You made the thread when turning the bolts.

Anyhow on mine I decided to solve the problem for once and at all by reinforcing the area were the posts joint the shell with the two parts mixed epoxy glue type, sanding the surface before I applied the glue, and waited 24 hours before assembling and that´s it. 13 years and counting.

As I recall they are not threaded. You made the thread when turning the bolts.

Anyhow on mine I decided to solve the problem for once and at all by reinforcing the area were the posts joint the shell with the two parts mixed epoxy glue type, sanding the surface before I applied the glue, and waited 24 hours before assembling and that´s it. 13 years and counting.

So where did you apply the glue...on the posts where the screws go in?

Unbelievable!

I was thinking of doing that exact thing with epoxy! I wondered if it would help at all since I don't wanna fork over another 70 bucks in a year. I'm not thoroughly convinced of the idea of reinforcing those wimpy little posts.

I just installed a new one myself and even a new one seems pretty wimpy. You just have to be carefull not to get your knee in it. I have warned the wife about it so hopefully, that will help. So what is the best way to reinforce the posts?

wimpy posts

Sorry, I meant to say I am NOW thoroughly convinced of reinforcing the posts with epoxy. Meaning, I think it's a sweet idea.

Any pics of a reinforced post? If not, maybe I will have to do that to mine and post some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom