Steelies vs. Aluminum OEM's??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh yeah...why would I need spacers? I believe the 6-lug Taco steelie rims only have an offset of 15mm? Please gimme the 'wheels for dummies' explanation...Thanks

Sounds great!

Technically, black isn't a color...it's the absence of color! ;)

Seriously...Is the process limited to just one color, or can they do two or three colors?...for instance the flat parts silver and the inside edges of the holes black...

go ahead and technically tell the guys at the shop to apply "the absence of color" to your wheels...

yeah...that should work

:D

Oh yeah...why would I need spacers? I believe the 6-lug Taco steelie rims only have an offset of 15mm? Please gimme the 'wheels for dummies' explanation...Thanks

because you'll rub the calipers if you don't have spacers...

wheels for dummies? I think you can find it by clicking here.
be sure to specify 80 series.

I'm told the following regarding the rims:

Standard Toyota backspacing, 4.5". Offset is +15mm. These work beautifully on almost all Toyota trucks.

What will be the difference in function & appearance if I use these vs. my stock 16 x 8 aluminum 80 rims?

Thanks

I'm told the following regarding the rims:

Standard Toyota backspacing, 4.5". Offset is +15mm. These work beautifully on almost all Toyota trucks.

What will be the difference in function & appearance if I use these vs. my stock 16 x 8 aluminum 80 rims?

Thanks

what do you mean by appearance?
yes, they'll look different.
:confused:

I thought FJ Cruisers all came with 17" wheels...can someone confirm?

LTB's (and steelie's) are cheap and changing wheels is easy and w/ two sets the two sets of tires last longer.

Yep . . . Twice as long.

my fj wheels

here is a pic of my 17" Fj wheels on my 94 land cruiser with 1 1/2 inch wheel adaptors/spacers on 35" mud rovers.

Untitled01.jpg

Moxwell...That's it! Nice lookin' rig! I really like those 'plain-jane' style steel wheels...nothin' fancy. Where did you get your 1.5" spacers? Lastly, did the spacers change the way your LC drove? Thanks man...

The above pic of my rig is running without spacers-they bolt right up. I have never had caliper rub. The wheels do inset and a spacer would push them out. I think that you can see this pretty clearly in the pic. It also could become an issue if you are trying to push the limit with tire size (like the 34" LTB's).

These are my off pavement combo and I do run the stock rims with stock sized Revos for wifey around town. These steelies are TOUGH! I have had some serious rock rash and I get home and all is good with the rattle can. Usually the price is right on these things, too.

I have to say that is 1 SWEET ASS truck you got there Mickldo!
:cheers:

That is a good photo cause you can't see all the scratches and dents and high odometer reading and ................

:rolleyes:

Sounds great!

Technically, black isn't a color...it's the absence of color! ;)

Seriously...Is the process limited to just one color, or can they do two or three colors?...for instance the flat parts silver and the inside edges of the holes black...

Powdercoating is limited to a single colour. There is a large range of colours available but multiple colours on the same item can't be done easily.

If you want two-tone you will have to paint.

I got them from one of the mud vendors, don't recall which, wheels I got from ebay from a toyo dealer (sorry dan) I believe I paid around 28 dollars a rim, without the spacers they sat really deep and the spacers really put them where they needed to be. I have had them on about 6 months, no noticeable changes in the way the LC drives. I am quite happy with them. I like the fact that these rims come with the toyo logo and not a bare hub exposed.

OEM FJ-75 for the third world came with heavy duty off-road steel wheels with a removable (by the driver without any special tool or machine) bead ring which allow to repair your tire on site :grinpimp:

I think...

IF were talkin "split" rims here, 2MK they are extreamly dangerus

I have heard of teck's/ truckers airing them up and the ring poping off and causing serious bodely harm again this is............

A.F.A.I.K

1: 2MK,

2: and why you dont see them here in use.

great idea but to many parts and too much pressure, 2MK.

My Opinion

I could be wrong.......

IF were talkin "split" rims here, 2MK they are extreamly dangerus

I have heard of teck's/ truckers airing them up and the ring poping off and causing serious bodely harm ..........

great idea but to many parts and too much pressure, 2MK.

My Opinion

I could be wrong.......

Split rims are terrific if you are in a possition where you need to change tires a lot (eg outback, staking tires on bloody sharp rocks), but I have always put the tire under the vehicle before reinflating.

If the ring pops off as you are blowing up the tire, the body/chassis stops it from taking your head off!!

The mobile tire service guys who change truck tires here have a cage on the side of their trucks to put the wheel in before blowing them up.

It's like anything, if you know what you are up to it's not a worry. If you jump right in without the required information, things will go pear shaped very quickly:doh:

Split rims are terrific if you are in a possition where you need to change tires a lot (eg outback, staking tires on bloody sharp rocks), but I have always put the tire under the vehicle before reinflating.

If the ring pops off as you are blowing up the tire, the body/chassis stops it from taking your head off!!

The mobile tire service guys who change truck tires here have a cage on the side of their trucks to put the wheel in before blowing them up.

It's like anything, if you know what you are up to it's not a worry. If you jump right in without the required information, things will go pear shaped very quickly:doh:

I AGREE 100 % !!!!!!!!

You have no idea how long is the waiting list in our local dealers to purchase the 2007, now assembled in Japan, long body FJ-75 series which came OEM with this wheels. We never had them available before. The bunch of people who sourced them were subjected to plain envy by the rest of us.

We don´t have AAA to the rescue, a service plaza every 50 miles or space to carry two spare tires. I am sorry if I am blunt but that´s the true, some extreme off roaders here believe stock wheels are for pussies :D

The aussies have plenty of experience on this subject, surviving their outback is a matter of life or death:grinpimp:

Last edited:
We don't have split rims in the US because instead some morons in leadership positions here decided that having the world's highest concentration of trial lawyers swimming around in a pool of friendly (to them) product liability laws would be preferable to products that make sense.

DougM

We don't have split rims in the US because instead some morons in leadership positions here decided that having the world's highest concentration of trial lawyers swimming around in a pool of friendly (to them) product liability laws would be preferable to products that make sense.

DougM

Can you say things like that without getting sued?!!?:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom