steel angle shims ( leaf springs ) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

orangefj45

Supporting Vendor
Threads
steel caster / degree shims ( leaf springs )

i now offer a variety of billet steel degree shims. these are no cast, not forged, not aluminum; they're BILLET steel so they won't crack or fail like the other stuff being used out there.
there are 4 different shims available:
2 deg $30/pair
4 deg $34/pair
6 deg $36/pair
8 deg $54/pair
shipping in conus is $7 for up to three pairs. i have a few sets in stock and more coming in next week.
georg @ valley hybrids
DSC00006.jpg

Last edited:
GE, that's a great product to offer. I had a 2 degree set installed a few months back and it made a WORLD of difference on my steering. My problem was that the steel ones were very difficult to find so I settled on some aluminum ones, needless to say I've got my eye on them as I know the steel are much stronger. Good pricing also! :beer:

thanks andrew. yup, these are far superrior to the over-the-counter cast aluminum pos shims.....

Ooooooo awesome idea Georg. I might be giving you a call once I get my tax return (and verify what size shim I need) :D

Ooooooo awesome idea Georg. I might be giving you a call once I get my tax return (and verify what size shim I need) :D

cool! hope your conversions is coming along nicely.:)

cool! hope your conversions is coming along nicely.:)

It would be if I could get the rest of the parts I gotta collect! Had a few other things (two hit n' runs on my truck at work, and the wife's car getting backed into by a Tahoe) come up that've taken up decent chunks of time and money. My goal is before next winter so I have some time to drive it around on dry pavement and get used to the 5spd.

I gotta redo my steering linkage too......

man, when it rains it pours, huh?! :frown:

i'll pm you.....

Very nice, I want some of these and don't know which ones I need.

I have a 83 fj60 with 2.5 OME springs with the Man-A-Free extended shackles. The front shackles are 5 inch pin to pin with no shackle reversal.
Just put the shackles on tonight and it drives much worse. What degree shim do you think I need??

Thanks
Seth

that's just about impossible to answer without having more input. the only way you're going to be sure which shim you'll need is to get an angle finder and get underneith your cruiser. measure the pinion falnge and the t-case flange for the driveline. figure out the difference in angles and you'll know which shim you'll need to run. this is assuming that you're not running a cv rear driveline and that we are talking about your rear driveline here......:wrench:

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

ok, I am talking about the front, the rear pinion angle looks pretty good

I can tell just by looking that the front diff has rotated up and I have lost castor

Thanks
Seth

alright, that one's a little tougher. do you go for proper caster or for proper driveline angle?

i'd say caster. the few times you'll be driving in 4hi you might have to live with a little vibration or you could go with a cv shaft.
measure the caster at the bottom caps ( machined surface on knuckle where bottom cap bolts on ) with the wheels pointing straight and the cruiser sitting on level ground. factory settings are usually around 3 degs, but anything between 1-4 degs is acceptable. i like running them at 1-2 degs.

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

I am going for castor, any how to measure tutorials out there, I understand the concept but would love to see photos.

Do I need longer spring pins as well?

Thanks
for your help
Sethro

that's a solid decision. castor will always affect how the vehicle drives. front driveline angle only comes into play when you're in 4wd.

you should be able to figure out your castor with the simple procedure i mentioned in my last post. a digital angle finder is a must. the little magnetic based pendulum style angle finders are waaaaay to vague for castor or even driveline angles.

the length of the spring pin bolt is really determined by the thickness of the spring and the shim you're going to run. for the shallower angled shims you might be alright with the existing pin. but if it's not an emergency road-side or trail repair then i'd suggest getting new pins. keep the old ones as spares.

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

ps: i can send you a pair of pins along with the angled shims if that helps. :cool:

ok, this makes waaay more sense after I got some sleep, last post was from a all day working on the cruiser tired dude :)

I will get this measured and see what the castor is
Thanks
for you help

Sethro

thanks for the orders guys! i know these are quite a bit more expensive then the cast aluminum counterparts but you get your money's worth with these steel shims.

georg @ valley hybrids

been having a read and is this shim ?from what i read going to change the castor etc and help the 40 drive better?just started on this as we dont have it in oz,always could do with better steering,mine is stock 77 suspension ,i will read more,thanks

you're correct. these shims are used to correct your caster and pinion angle. they can be used on the front and rear axles.

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

guess i better get onto it,is it a noticeable improvement?all my components are spot on,been doin lots of miles with the floods here and the shorty is the only means and an improvement in steering would be good,700 mile trips wear ya out,thanks

we usually set up the front ends to have between 1 and 4 degrees of positive caster, depending on application. make sure you use a digital angle finder to measure yours, the dial type angle finders are not accurate enough.
hth
georg @ valley hybrids

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom