Starts but won’t run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working on a 1982 60 that is original smog equiped. Was running okay when I started working on it. Fuel system essentially new from tank to carb. Rebuilt stock carb, new vacuum lines. After a year in my shop with monthly starts and run for 5-10 minutes, it wouldn’t stay running. Original carb was starting, but not staying running. After rebuild, still has the same issue. Need input from the collective wisdom. Thoughts on the issue? Could it be some electrical issue?

Requires choke to start ,but will not run longer than half minute or so. Immediately starts back up. Can’t really see fuel in window, but 70 year old eyes may be at fault. The solenoid clicks when power supplied. Wondering if it has issue with staying open. I have a new non USA aftermarket carb. I might swap solenoids and see if that changes anything.

Working on a 1982 60 that is original smog equiped. Was running okay when I started working on it. Fuel system essentially new from tank to carb. Rebuilt stock carb, new vacuum lines. After a year in my shop with monthly starts and run for 5-10 minutes, it wouldn’t stay running. Original carb was starting, but not staying running. After rebuild, still has the same issue. Need input from the collective wisdom. Thoughts on the issue? Could it be some electrical issue?

check all the above and the FUEL CUT SOLONID like @Gretsch suggests

if you need the correct 2 wire version you should have i offer them here at my store

thanks

matt

1659191823109.png

IMG_0972.jpg

“hot wire” the fuel cut solenoid to eliminate that as a problem.

What are the symptoms when it stops running? Does it seem like it is running out of gas or something more like when you tune the key off?

If the fuel bowl is emptied I would thing you would have to crank it some to refill the bowl to get it to restart—not “immediately start right up”

Thanks for the replies. Evidently I switched primary and secondary jets on reassembly. Swapped them around and it runs again. Need to adjust idle etc, but it is running better than it has the 5 years I’ve owned it.

I find it helps to use a flashlight and additionally sort of bump the truck with your hip to shake the fuel...to see it in the window.

I do this exactly as well. My sight glass is pretty cloudy at this point and without seeing the fuel moving around by shaking the truck I can't see it well at all.

Glad you got it sorted OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom