Starting problems, horn, and fuel gauge, what’s the cure? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, I’m still a newbie in the FZJ80 world and I’m learning a lot about my 1993 FZJ80. Currently, I’m having problems figuring out how to troubleshoot a variety of problems on my ride, most important to me now are the horn, fuel gauge, and oh now the ride won’t start (see videos)

1) The horn was replaced by the previous owner with some Hellas and was working just fine when I acquired it, but went out on me a while back, so I’m driving (well I was) hornless at the moment, which is what I don’t want to do. I checked the fuse under the hood and it’s fine, could it be that the relay is out or the horn itself isn’t grounded properly?

2) The fuel gauge also went out on me and I don’t know what to do there. It worked for a while as well and then just quit on me one day.

3) I’ve been having battery issues which I think is related to electrical leaks somewhere on my rig. I ripped out a lot of stuff the previous owner had installed and was going to rebuild the additional electrical components myself (hence the leaks I think) and the battery dying on me. I replaced the battery because the old one was finally dead and I replaced it with a new one. Now the engine will not turnover. See both videos here below. Any recommendations?

I really appreciate any help I can get as I’m really new to this all and want to learn how to do this myself. Thanks in advance and here is to hoping I can get the problems resolved myself without having to get someone else to do the actual physical work for me!

THANKS!

is your check engine light coming on as you turn the key to the on position?

Yes, the A/T Oil Temp, Check Engine, and Oil light come on when in the on position and as I “crank” the engine to start...

It could be your starter draining too much amp and not leaving enough for the ignition (pretty sure i worded that right) or there is a compression/fuel issue.
1) Check your EFI relay under the bonnet this could be dead
2) Fuel filter could be blocked
3) Check your leads from the spark to the dizzy (For the record, the ignition leads have a
maximum recommended resistance of 25k ohms per lead)
4)Dome light fuse or radio could be draining your battery or your alternator has had it and needs rebuilding/replacing

Judging by the way you described the electrical issues in this car its going to be hard to diagnose without you checking the basics 1 step at a time to eliminate the issue
If some of these things are beyond your mechanical knowledge you may need a mechanic or auto elec to come and have a look.
Remember to use the search function for issues as nearly any issue you can experience with an 80 is on this forum already.

Well I replaced the fusible link today, was able to get one from the local Toyota dealer and I’m waiting to receive an additional one from @NLXTACY. The link was old and needed to be replaced. I also switched out the EFI relay with a new one and checked the EFI fuse. The engine is still doing the same thing. On to checking the ground connections next and then the other stuff that you mentioned @Formulaonehd. I talked to @NLXTACY on the phone and he pointed me out to checking those ground connections. I REALLY appreciate the help NLXTACY and Formulaonehd. I’m gonna get this rig going again and I’m hoping I can get this done before I have to take it to a professional.

I'm envious of your steering wheel. So much texture left on it!

You need to do basic troubleshooting. Fuel? Spark?

As for the horn, on pre-95 models, it uses a spring loaded brass rod that pushes against a ring. A weak spring, worn brass rod, or just dirt buildup will prevent good contact. Remove the top of the steering column cover and you'll see it. I sprayed in some contact cleaner and used a folded up shop rag to clean gunk out of mine when it stopped working. I also tightened up the crimp-on ground connector.

20171117210504-b9d623fe-me.jpg

20171117210502-64a186c4-me.jpg

20171117210458-f502da37-me.jpg

(that last one is looking into a mechanic's mirror, looking at the crimp connector)

You need to do basic troubleshooting. Fuel? Spark?

As for the horn, on pre-95 models, it uses a spring loaded brass rod that pushes against a ring. A weak spring, worn brass rod, or just dirt buildup will prevent good contact. Remove the top of the steering column cover and you'll see it. I sprayed in some contact cleaner and used a folded up shop rag to clean gunk out of mine when it stopped working. I also tightened up the crimp-on ground connector.

20171117210504-b9d623fe-me.jpg

20171117210502-64a186c4-me.jpg

20171117210458-f502da37-me.jpg

(that last one is looking into a mechanic's mirror, looking at the crimp connector)

An empty .22 cartridge fits right over the brass thing and will help the horn. (It’ll be obvious when you take the steering wheel off)

Electrical can be tricky. I recommend downloading the EWD. And listen to @NLXTACY he knows a thing or two.

Well I replaced the fusible link today, was able to get one from the local Toyota dealer and I’m waiting to receive an additional one from @NLXTACY. The link was old and needed to be replaced. I also switched out the EFI relay with a new one and checked the EFI fuse. The engine is still doing the same thing. On to checking the ground connections next and then the other stuff that you mentioned @Formulaonehd. I talked to @NLXTACY on the phone and he pointed me out to checking those ground connections. I REALLY appreciate the help NLXTACY and Formulaonehd. I’m gonna get this rig going again and I’m hoping I can get this done before I have to take it to a professional.

Thanks for the kudos and good talking to you.

@gummycarbs, thanks for the help, advice, pics, and compliments on the steering wheel. I’ll check the horn out tomorrow! It’s been a challenge to learn how to work on this, but this community has tremendously helped!

An empty .22 cartridge fits right over the brass thing and will help the horn. (It’ll be obvious when you take the steering wheel off)

Electrical can be tricky. I recommend downloading the EWD. And listen to @NLXTACY he knows a thing or two.

@LS1FJ40, @NLXTACY sure does, I’ll be checking out all the grounds tomorrow and try the .22 out, in addition to all the cleaning. I will say this much, when I push on the horn I hear the relay clicking, I’m also wondering if that whole

Well, @Mdej3 and I were chatting it up (he is the PO) and the most obvious reason for the rig not starting up was because...

NO FUEL!!!!

When I took the fuel filter off behind the seats, I made the awesome discovery. Looks like the fuel that I had in there evaporated during the hot Alabama summer and early fall months. Oh well, it has a new battery, new relay, and fusible link (and an additional backup from Wits End). Now, I need to figure out the horn issue, why the fuel gauge is not working properly, get new seals for the fuel filter and the banjo bolt, and then I’ll be good to go!

Thanks for all the help, advice, and comments and my apologies for all the issues on my part. Lesson learned for me, if I ever have starting problems and the fuel gauge doesn’t work, check the freaking gas! D’OH!!! How embarrassing!

Ha that's pretty funny. Glad you figured it out.

This is an excellent example to bring to everyone's attention, especially the newer members.....
Always start with the easy stuff first, don't ignore the most obvious or make assumptions.....
Diagnose the problem before you start throwing parts and money at the problem.

This is an excellent example to bring to everyone's attention, especially the newer members.....
Always start with the easy stuff first, don't ignore the most obvious or make assumptions.....
Diagnose the problem before you start throwing parts and money at the problem.
Agreed. I guess I never thought that the gas would evaporate on me like that. I had been using the odometer as a reference for keeping up with my fuel and had only driven 62 miles on a full tank. I usually get 190-200 miles on one tank, so I was surprised 3/4 of the tank was gone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom