Starting Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hopped in the LC last week and tried to start, nothing, so I needed a new battery anyways so I replaced with an Optima. Started after install and been driving. Over the weekend got in truck and turned key and nothing happened like battery was dead, turned ignition key off and tried to restart nothing, tried a third time and it started. Same thing today, started with no problems on the way to church, tried to leave afterwards, nothing, tried again and it started.
Does this sound more like an ignition switch issue or a starter problem. When I turn the key everything turns on, I can hear the fuel pump, the air starts blowing, the antenna starts going up, turn key, nothing. Then I try again and starts.

I've been watching the battery guage and it reads just under 18V, holds steady and doesn't dip down when driving. It's a 98 with 139,000 miles. I have searched the forum and some are calling for efi fuse, starter contacts or replace the starter and others haven't listed the solution to their similar issue.

All I know is that the farmers almanac and national weather service are calling for a really bad winter and I definitely want this issue fixed before the bad stuff hits.

Last edited:
I've been watching the battery guage and it reads just under 18V, holds steady and doesn't dip down when driving. It's a 98 with 139,000 miles. I have searched the forum and some are calling for efi fuse, starter contacts or replace the starter and others haven't listed the solution to their similar issue.

All I know is that the farmers almanac and national weather service are calling for a really bad winter and I definitely want this issue fixed before the bad stuff hits.
I just got all the answers to the same question.

Search for:
starter contacts.

You need a new starter or new starter contacts.

It does sound like the starter. Had exact same experience with my 80 series. But swap the fuse too. Really cheap and really easy is always a good first step.

I sounds to me it could be the relay (same fuse box driver side under the hood). If anything get an extra and keep it in the glovebox. These relays get old and stuck, if it happens again open the hood and tap it (lightly) if you hear it click turn the key. If it starts it was the relay. Here's a pic of my backup for purposes of item# etc:
image.jpg

If it doesn't start, then starts, it can't be the fuse - they don't heal themselves. My bet is typical Toyota starter contact problem, that's exactly what they do.
Replace those and you're good to go for another 139,000 miles (YMMV). Problem is starter removal is a PITA so you're tempted to replace the whole thing but that's not really necessary.

g'luck, Dan.

+1 on the starter contacts. The relay would allow it to crank but not turn over.

+1 on the starter contacts. The relay would allow it to crank but not turn over.

Not in my experience. Last winter my relay was going out. Everything would power on the 1st turn of the key but when I turned the key all the way there was no crank. Zero like it was disconnected. Switched the relay and no issues from then on.
I did have intermittent issues with my FJ80 and it was caused by the terminals to the battery. The difference is that on the 100 everything powers up and the clock (for example)reads the correct hr. On the 80 the terminals needed change and nothing would power up and the clock would reset to 12.

If it doesn't start, then starts, it can't be the fuse - they don't heal themselves. My bet is typical Toyota starter contact problem, that's exactly what they do.
Replace those and you're good to go for another 139,000 miles (YMMV). Problem is starter removal is a PITA so you're tempted to replace the whole thing but that's not really necessary.

g'luck, Dan.
I agree it is likely the starter contacts. Having said that, it is entirely possible the relay could be going bad. A relay does not work like a fuse. You are right saying a fuse will not heal itself but relays are not the same and can occasionally operate after a nice bit of coercion before failing completely.

It is the starter. Same exact symptoms on my 100 series last week. Don make the same mistake that I made wich was to let a mechanic change the starter for me because I was really busy and he installed a cheap brand. That starter lasted about a week. I came back and installed a Denso, it took me about three hours but it has not giving anymore issues whatsoever.

Thanks for the help guys, turned out being the starter contacts, replaced with Toyota Starter, figured if it lasted for 15 years the last time this one should last me around 10.

Thanks for getting back with the solution to the problem, this way we all keep learning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom