GM Starter sparked and melted battery cables (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed a new starter and connected it according to the online reference that I found, CENTER TO POWER and S SIDE (the little bolt on the right hand side) TO THE SMALL WIRE, LEAVING THE OTHER CONNECTOR EMPTY (the little bolt on the left hand side) *see picture.
I started the truck (1993 Chevy Suburban) and it ran for about 15 minuets, then there were a lot of sparks coming from the starter area and the truck shut off.
I inspected the truck and found that the positive cable at the battery had melted off and the negative wire was also starting to melt.
I have a feeling that perhaps I out the little wire on the wrong little nut.
Any help with this I would be very grateful. Thank you.

Starter Wiring.jpg

I installed a new starter and connected it according to the online reference that I found, CENTER TO POWER and S SIDE (the little bolt on the right hand side) TO THE SMALL WIRE, LEAVING THE OTHER CONNECTOR EMPTY (the little bolt on the left hand side) *see picture.
I started the truck (1993 Chevy Suburban) and it ran for about 15 minuets, then there were a lot of sparks coming from the starter area and the truck shut off.
I inspected the truck and found that the positive cable at the battery had melted off and the negative wire was also starting to melt.
I have a feeling that perhaps I out the little wire on the wrong little nut.
Any help with this I would be very grateful. Thank you.

View attachment 2393142

It almost sounds like you have a direct short either at the connection point with ground or possibly both ground and positive wire gauge is much much smaller than what it says current rating is. If you got a way to measure the diameter of the positive cable I get back with us. It could be a short within the starter. Drive into a Automotive Electrical shop and have them do a current check on the starter when starting the truck.

It almost sounds like you have a direct short either at the connection point with ground or possibly both ground and positive wire gauge is much much smaller than what it says current rating is. If you got a way to measure the diameter of the positive cable I get back with us. It could be a short within the starter. Drive into a Automotive Electrical shop and have them do a current check on the starter when starting the truck.
Thank You

Thank You
It's also possible the B positive battery cable that's attached to the terminal on the starter has been rotated where is touching some kind of ground connection on the starter. Technically there shouldn't be a ground connection if the starter bolts transfer the current into the engine block. I've seen a case and it sounds hilarious but yet dangerous for the person who install the starter. They weren't paying attention to detail and the terminal of the positive wire that was slipped over the B positive terminal was rotated and making contact with the solenoid terminal. They're created a direct current path into the starter. The DIY mechanic was standing in front of his vehicle and he went to put the terminal on the positive side of the battery. The vehicle was in gear and immediately the starter started to crank the engine. He got out of the way and the vehicle started to move forward and it pinned him against the house. I'm sure he was screaming at the top of his lungs.

Turned out that my brother in-law grounded out the positive battery cable when he put the new starter up and that caused the issue. Thanks everyone for your feed back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom