starter problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Intermittent problem with my starter on the 91 LJ77.

Starter spins but does not engage the flywheel.
Starter engages but fails to turn the engine.
Starter engages and turns the engine a bit bit then stops.

Sometimes it takes a few tries before it starts.
Sometimes it starts normally on the first try.

No real pattern on when it will start or when it will take a few tries to sometimes a lot more than a few.

Ignition? Relay? Starter?

I did clean electrical contacts, no change.
I tried jiggling the key, no change.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Is your battery up to full strength? If your battery is good, I would say your starter has some dead spots on it where it doesn't get enough current to spin it. (my 20 yo coffee grinder is doing the same thing. I have to turn the blades to a certain position to find a good spot.)
You can give the starter a solid tap with a lump of wood and that will often cause them to start

Sounds like rebuild time, Joe.

I highly recommend sending it off to Mosley Motors in Memphis and have him and his team rebuild. They did an alternator for me and it came out spectacular. And very reasonably priced.

Cameron is @FJ60Cam

Thanks. I was thinkkng it may be the starter but it being intermittent made me wonder.

Joe,
If you need immediate action on your starter? You might want to consider a rebuild shop local to you rather than sending it for the spa treatment/restoration. The time required for a trip to the spa might leave you sidelined longer than what you have in mind.

Additional thought, you may want to replace your battery cables (or at least all connectors) too. Year back, I encountered a starting issue due to a bad connector at the battery ground. When I replaced the cable, the connector at the block just crumbled when I loosened the bolt. Being that corroded, that connector could not have been a great conductor even though it had not failed. If you replace them, you know what you have and confidence in them if you encounter issues down the road.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom