Starter issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wishing I was in Paraguay but currently in Oregon
I have an 89 FJ62 Cruiser and am having problems with the (possibly) starter. When I turn the key I get nothing. After sitting for a few minutes it will turn over. Also, not sure if it's related but everonce in a while, while coming to a stop, the brake and battery lights will come on. Could this be the starter or possible silinoid? The starter is a couple of years and it's a newer battery. Thanks:steer:

Check the fluid in the brake master cylinder. A low level will cause the light to come on.

Check the tension on the alternator belt. If that's OK, then have the alternator checked out.

Regarding the starter, when you say you get "nothing" is it really nothing, or do you hear a "click" but the engine doesn't crank. If, when it does turn over, it turns over at a normal rate, then I would first clean your battery terminals and check the cable connections at the starter and the ground connections. If those are OK, then your starter contacts might be bad.

Thanks for the advice guys, I cleaned the terminals and so far today haven't had any problems. Of course it's only hapenned 2 in the last year. i did find some more info from some threads "starter problems" back in 11/07. Once again thanks:steer:

If it happens again, replace the battery wires and clean all the surfaces well with a wire brush.

just had the same problem on mine, cleaned all the terminals and replaced the ground that goes from the starter to the frame. haven't had a problem since.

My ground down by the starter was hanging by a couple strands this past spring. I put my hand on it incidentally while putting my driveshaft back in and ripped it off. Glad I found it in my garage instead of on a trail.

So, here's the latest. cleaned the terminals and checked out the battery. Haven't had a chance to check the ground at the starter yet. It's been starting fine but now, when I'm stopped, the e-brake light and the battery light stay on and I get a clicking noise over by the passenger side door. my wife seemed to locate it by the speaker. When I let off the brake and accelerate, the lights go off. I'm going to take off the panel on the door and see if maybe there are loose wires or if water got down into the door. Also, to check the ground. Sure wish I had a garage or at least above 40 degrees to do this.:steer:

The fact that lights come on when you slow down points to a charging problem with your alternator. Your charging system is not functioning correctly at low RPM’s. The clicking you are hearing may be a relay. Why it would be clicking and is it related to this situation? I have no idea on that one.

You need to test your alternator, the tension on the alternator belt, and all wires to and from it. It sounds like your starter is fine from the symptoms you have described but you should still check your ground strap on the starter. Takes 5 minutes for an untrained eye.
-Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom