Starter issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I turn the key sometimes the starter does not seem to get the message to start. If I turn the key to full off then try to start it starts like normal with full power to starter. Sometimes I have to move the key between starting to full off a few times before the starter turns the engine (today took two tries on 2 separate incidents). I know it could be several things but checking to see if this is a known issue with known fix? Battery is fine.

When I turn the key sometimes the starter does not seem to get the message to start. If I turn the key to full off then try to start it starts like normal with full power to starter. Sometimes I have to move the key between starting to full off a few times before the starter turns the engine (today took two tries on 2 separate incidents). I know it could be several things but checking to see if this is a known issue with known fix? Battery is fine.
In order, do/check the following:

1) Check your battery cables and connections to make sure they are clean and making good contact
2) Make sure your battery is 12.5V or higher when you come out to start it.
3) Wiggle the Fusible links on the positive battery cable to see if it helps or hurts the starting ability. May need to change these.
4) Replace the starter or rebuilt the contacts in the starter. Get a Denso Reman from RockAuto or a reman from Toyota. (Either online or local dealer. not all Toyota dealerships are equal) ACC in ATL is a good place historically.
5) Replace the battery cables with new parts.

Very common issue on these. Lots of threads here describing the exact same symptoms as what you have.

When that happened to me, it was corroded connections in the starter. It happened to two starters when I lived on the Oregon coast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom