Starter ignition circuit thought (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting timing on this... i have a "jumper" cable run on the small wire and it extends into the cab with a push button. This was my way of bypassing the ignition in case it was having an issue with low voltage.

After having to replace my battery this week i was still getting an interesting click, click,click start... I had a 25amp fuse in line of this starter button. After getting frustrated i held the button in for a few seconds and heard a pop. It was the fuse blowing. So i upped the fuse to a 30 amp fuse. Since that slightly larger fuse i have had no clicks at all. It starts each and every time now. I'm guessing just the extra 5 amps made the difference.

I'm going on a trip this weekend so we will see if this fixed that issue.

I'm about to do this mod to assist some no-start errors.

Just curious (not being too electrically inclined) can the assisting solenoid have a greater work amp than the fuse? In my case I acquired an old bronco solenoid rated at 150amp work current/12volt/8volt pickup...wondering if I can use that with a 50amp inline fuse to battery. Or does the amp current need to match the fuse..

My thoughts are any draw over 50 would trip that fuse.

I imagine the 150 amp rating for the Bronco solenoid is the start circuit rating. With the above setup we are just using the larger solenoid start contacts to pass a lower current from the battery to the cruiser solenoid; not the starter itself. The only thing I would be concerned with is how much current it takes to pull in the Bronco solenoid. The point of this idea is to allow diminished current from worn neutral switch and ignition switch contacts to be able to pull in a solenoid which then can pass higher current to the cruiser solenoid. A fuse is there to protect the wire so the sizing depends on wire size and length.

I imagine the 150 amp rating for the Bronco solenoid is the start circuit rating. With the above setup we are just using the larger solenoid start contacts to pass a lower current from the battery to the cruiser solenoid; not the starter itself. The only thing I would be concerned with is how much current it takes to pull in the Bronco solenoid. The point of this idea is to allow diminished current from worn neutral switch and ignition switch contacts to be able to pull in a solenoid which then can pass higher current to the cruiser solenoid. A fuse is there to protect the wire so the sizing depends on wire size and length.
OK - I guess I am mixed up on the connectivity path. ('97 LX450 US Spec)

The helper solenoid connects from the battery to the stock solenoid (which is on the actual starter- logic side) or is there a standalone solenoid I'm missing here?

Maybe I should just get a 50amp relay and call it a day and not chance any wire frying- but it would still connect to the starter's solenoid (i.e. stock starter), no?

Yes, the main terminals of the helper solenoid connects from the battery to the stock solenoid small wire as per the drawing in post #1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom