SS Bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to use stainless steel bolts to replace the bolts that the heads twist off due to rust like body parts, skid plates etc. I tried to remove the fender and 2 bolts twisted the head right off.
Is there any reaction between SS bolts and steel nuts? I use Antisieze on the threads of the OEM bolts when I remove them but the ones that are twisting off are rusting where the washers are. I can't find any SS bolts that give a grade so I won't use them where they might brake.
kurt

K -

I used to build / sail ocean-going auxiliary sail boats, and corrosion from disimilar metals was a very serious issue - in fact, there have been volumes written on the subject.

In those areas of the country where there is a lot of moisture combined with salt, the reaction from disimilar metals - even stainless (particularly on aluminum) can be significant over time. If you live in the desert, on the other hand, I doubt it would be a major concern.

R -

Interesting thought. One that I have quite often as I live on my sailboat and my cars are parked 10 yards from the Pacific Ocean!

Ron is correct about disimilar metals, however, the reaction between steel and stainless steel would be much less than other disimilar metals as they are darn close on the nobility scale...

Overall though I think the benefits would outweigh the...um...trying to think of the word here...cons, negatives, downsides...now my wife is trying to help...detriments? Urgh, you get the idea!

When you say you can't find hardware with a grade do you mean you can't find it locally or just can't find it?

I can find the bolts but it doesn't say on the box what the grade is.
kurt

Kurt,

SS fasteners don't have the shear strength of other steels. As the other boaters can tell you, if a SS fastener gets stuck, the head will twist off quite easily.

That doesn't answer your grade question, but its worth knowing.

tiorio, what kind of sailboat and where?

Ed

I don't know which would be worse, a rusted bolt head twisting off or a stuck SS bolt twisting off???
I just need to move out of the 'rust belt' :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom