Squeal and low oil pressure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image.jpg
I just got home from the mountains and about a block from my house, my 78 fj40 started squealing and dropped in oil pressure. It didn't drop to 0 but it was lower than normal. Since I was so close to home, I limped home in first and the squeal would change sounds but not corresponding with revs or anything. It wasn't overheating, maybe a little warm just from driving at highway speeds for the last hour and a half, but it certainly wasn't really hot. When I got home I opened the hood and saw this piece smoking right around the belt. The belt was tight.

I've read a few other threads about similar problems but I can't really tell if it's the same problem I have. Some say clutch problems but I don't think that's it. Early today I had to top off the clutch fluid just because it has a slow leak, but I don't know if that relates. Also I just changed the oil and filter last week so it's really fresh.

She ran like a champion all the way from Denver into the Rockies and back with no problem at all. Only until a block from home does it start shreaking like a loose belt and smoking. It idled in the driveway but sounded like it was misfiring. It revs fine and the oil pressure comes up but it started squealing and smoking.

I've got a pretty rudimentary knowledge of the mechanics and I'm stumped and need some help! Original 2f by the way, no v8.

loosen or remove the belts and see if the pulleys spin freely on the smog pump or other stuff sounds like a bad bearing in something .a bad bearing can lower your idle speed and drop oil pressure

loosen or remove the belts and see if the pulleys spin freely on the smog pump or other stuff sounds like a bad bearing in something .a bad bearing can lower your idle speed and drop oil pressure

X2 on this. I would tend to think that a bad bearing is the cause of most of your problems.

Don

Thanks for the help guys, turns out it was a siezed up smog pump bearing. My clutch also coincidentally decided to leak all of its fluid on the floor at the same time. I figure she's just throwing a tantrum about me going to college and not taking her with me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom