Springs question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found out that the springs on the 60 are from Specter off road. I have the receipt, so I'll have to check the purchase date but it was in the last couple of years.

Any idea of how good Specter is with leaf springs? The height on the 60 is awesome but it rode very bumpy.

I was hoping I could use those springs and shackles on the 62 ~ Ya think if I added some good shocks that I should be ok? The shocks on the 60 looked pretty rough and I was hoping that was the reason for the rough ride.

Thanks for the input.

here's a pic of the 60 and lift with 33's that I'll also be moving over to the 62:
IM000916.sized.jpg

I have never run any SOR springs so I don't know how stiff they are? Some of the "old school" lift springs are very stiff. What brand of shocks are on it? Some softer shocks will help, also if you have a set of stock springs, taking apart the packs and mixing some of the stock leafs with some of the lift leafs may get you a good combo?

springs

i've run a lot of shocks over the years , including rancho 9000 set on the stiffest
setting, and never encountered a over the counter shock with enough compression damping to make a 5000lb vehicle ride bumpy or choppy. generally shocks are design with a compression/rebound damping rate that leans to the rebound side. the better one will have up to a 20/80 % ratio, 80 % representing the rebound. with coils, as in the FJ80 manufacturers may bump up the compressiion ratio to make up for a coils lesser resistance to compression. On a leaf spring vehicle the perfect world should ride smooth through the first 3" to 4" of travel. All the shock does is mellow the compression and throttle the rebound so you don't launch through the roof when you come out of that dip that just slammed your truck down to the bumpstops.
Personally i don't believe there is a over the counter shock that truly can handle a cruiser wagons weight. I'm enduring the 9000's set on stiff. It still pogo's in dips.

i'm picking up the 62 on Wed - It'll be nice to finally be able to drive it.

The 60 is being parted out.

I think what I'll do first is just add the shackles and see how it rides. Then I could add some springs from the 60 like tools r us suggested down the road.

Old Man Emu makes a real good set of shocks for the cruiser. I have them on my 60 and they are pretty heavy duty.

My thoughts exactly! Even better is they said it might be tomorrow~

What's that? I might have a running Cruiser for the next Cruise night??

Un-frickin-believable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom