Speedometer and temp not working in cluster (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process buying a 1990 BJ70 with a 3b engine. I have seen video of it running and am aware of all its quirks at this point. The only one that I am wondering if I could fix before I road trip it home is the gauge cluster. The voltage and rpms work. But the speedo and temp gauges do not. I am assuming that the odometer also isnt working because that is usually tied to the speedometer. Previous owner bought and installed a new gauge cluster and that did not resolve the issue. Does anyone have any ideas on things I could check before I drive it 1000 miles back home to get those working again? Having a temp gauge is pretty important to me, much more so than the speedometer.

If the gauge cluster has been previously replaced and this did not fix the problem; then the problem with the temperature gauge is either a bad coolant sensor or a break in the wiring going to the sensor. As for the speedometer problem; I am not sure if your LC has a cable driven or electronic driven speedometer. You will need to inspect the speedometer and determine which type you have.

If the gauge cluster has been previously replaced and this did not fix the problem; then the problem with the temperature gauge is either a bad coolant sensor or a break in the wiring going to the sensor. As for the speedometer problem; I am not sure if your LC has a cable driven or electronic driven speedometer. You will need to inspect the speedometer and determine which type you have.
I would think for a 1990 LHD variant it is going to be a electronic driven unit. I would think that there is a possible connection to both of those gauges being bad, since they are both on the right hand side of the cluster.

An additional question to go along with the gauges. This BJ70 has the most basic cluster I have ever seen. Just a fuel gauge, speedo, and temp gauge. Will one of the more comprehensive clusters plug into this or is the wiring harness totally different?

@datrat , When you say the Speedo doesn't work, is the needle totally dead or is it dancing around?
If dead.... I would say the there is an issue with the cable or cable is not snapped in correctly/seated correctly to the back of the speedo. Pull the cable and inspect it. Less than an hour job.

Also, It only takes about an hour to pull the gauge cluster. If the PO has the old gauge cluster take a look at the integrity of the water temp gauge and compare that to the integrity of the newly installed gauge. Usually there are some tell tale signs after inspection. Maybe another hour to swap out the water temp gauge. (assuming it isn't a temperature sending issue or wiring issue as Charles HS suggested).

Usually the Oil Pressure gauges go because someone mixes up the ground wire and the hot wire. I haven't heard of too many issues with Water Temp gauges. Good news lot of after market options that are digital and more accurate.

How far do you plan on driving this after purchase? 100 miles or 1000? That be my number one concern.

I think it's about 1200 miles. PO has the car in the shop and the gauges are being looked at. Looks like speedo stops working after 50-60 kmh. This is the super basic cluster that only has 3 guages: speed, fuel, and temp.

Regarding the temp gauge not working, I had this issue when I first got my BJ70 with the same cluster you have. Replaced sensor and rewired, not fixed. While redoing the entire cooling system I discovered the thermostat was missing. The thermostat is necessary to get a reading on the temp gauge, otherwise coolant won't really remain in contact with the sensor - assuming yours is positioned on the lower half of the thermostat housing. If your coolant is low enough you will also not get a reading for the same reason. Open the coolant cap and look inside for proper coolant level, if it's full, stick your finger in to feel for the thermostat. You can test if the problem is occurring downstream from the sensor by powering on the vehicle (not starting it) and holding the sensor wire to the block. If the temp needle shoots up, this will rule out the wiring and the gauge.

I agree with dprio34 on the speedo problem. I don't think it's possible that these issues are related since the speedo is not electronic.

I would think for a 1990 LHD variant it is going to be a electronic driven unit

They kept using cables for another 16 years after that, maybe longer in some markets.

When I had a speedo problem and wanted to drive long distance but didnt have the time/inclination to fix it, I downloaded a GPS speedo onto my phone and propped the phone up on top of the gauge clutster. Not perfect as there is some lag, but keeps the speeding tickets at bay.

The coolant sensor on my 88 3F was fundamentally the same as the 1HZ. So you maybe able to use the sensor off a NA american 60 series 2F 3FE ect if you need one and Toyota dont have the exact type

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom