Speedo bother... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.domvonstoeser.de
This has probably been explored before, but here goes:

2002-ish HZJ79, South African / Namibian model. Modest upgrades.

Speedo (electronic) suddenly stopped working – coincidentally at exactly 392,392km. Digital odometer still displays, but does nothing. I've checked the fuse box, but there doesn't seem to be a gauge fuse. I've read here and there about checking things like speed sensors on the transmission (R151F I think) but I'm not sure how to do that – what tools would I need? Has someone posted a walkthrough somewhere?

Failing that – any insight what else it could be?

Much obliged for any pointers.

cheers -

dom

@kavandje, well it could be a number of things.
Just hope it isn't the instrument itself, that would be most expensive to replace.

Try checking the integrity of the speedo cable, the gear in the transmission (actually transfer case) that drives the cable, and finally, not sure if your vehicle has an electronic speed sensor, but if it does, it could be that as well, if it has one.

Just get under the vehicle and have a look at the cable and remove the gear. It won't take long.
Pictured below is out of an R151. The gear on the right is out of a LHD transfer case. The gear on the left is out of a RHD transfer case. Your speed sensor will look like the ones pictured below but it will have a "plug" on it to send the electronic signal to the electrical gauge.

I'd recommend cleaning up the area below the vehiclen or use a clean tarp if you plan on pulling the cable out for inspection, since you don't want to get the cable dirty.

I just went down this road with two different vehicles and both times it ended up being the instrument itself. A quick inspection of the cable and gear will eliminate two of the four possibilities. If those check out, roll the dice and buy a speed sensor, because the speedo clock won't be cheap.

let us know how it goes.

E2CCD5A9-3D15-404C-8732-11B18115B824.jpeg

A46B8EFE-356D-47B5-92FD-AA4BC031792E.jpeg

3EC50904-BDAD-4294-A710-F12CBE0E8D5A.jpeg

7EF91E33-9F72-4E96-B2E6-D5AC7421052F.jpeg

Last edited:
It's not a cable-driven speedo. I have the electronic version. I was under the truck yesterday – didn't take pictures though. I'll take another look this weekend when I have some time. But thanks for the pics. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom