Speedo and Tach not working....... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes I've used the search function.......for months........to no avail. And Phil fixing his speedo has lit the fire under my ass.

1993 FZJ80

Issue Number 1: Speedometer
Bought this 80 last December, got in for test drive, speedo went up to like 15mph and then died. Has not worked since then. Cruise Control worked intermittently on the initial drive home (1150 miles non stop) and has since worked fine the three or four times I've asked it to. When it did act up on the drive home, the cruise light would start flashing and it would not engage, after a fuel stop and restarting the truck, it would work. I also purchased a replacement instrument cluster, swapped it in, no dice. Swapped old cluster back in as the odometer did not work with the replacement and did not want to lose track of miles. So I have working cruise and a dead speedo on two separate clusters. I did find a thread stating that there are two connectors on top of the transmission right by the firewall, going to check those and make sure they are good. But assuming they are both snapped in solid, any ideas on where to go from here? I have a Garmin in the truck that reads more accurately than the gauge would since I'm on 35s, but these cluster issues are like ants on my skin. :bang:

Issue Number 2: Tachometer

The tach in the original cluster is also what I would call "Tropical". In warmer weather (or after the heater has brought the cabin up to toasty), it reads fairly accurately according to my ears. However below about 60°F, the needle will start sitting lower at idle and not moving as it should with RPM, and when it's 18°F out like today, after 25 minutes of solid heat blowing and driving, 3000RPM shows as about 600RPM on the tach. The engine idles where it should according to ear, and aside from looming trans shift solenoids it drives like it should. When I swapped clusters for the speedo, the tach in the replacement cluster was dead on and worked perfectly. This leads me to think something is wonky in the actual tach inside my original cluster, so can I just swap the tach in the replacement cluster over to my original one? Or is there some other issue I should be looking into.

I'm assuming this is two separate issues but if I'm wrong, that happens alot.

So...... What wisdom can you pass on? Don't say drink, I've done that enough already over this :rofl::censor::cheers:

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps in the FSM?
Cruise working tells me the VSS is functioning, speedo not working with two different clusters points to it not being the drive gear in the cluster.

Tach in replacement cluster working as normal tells me something in the cluster is making an intermittent connection as far as my knowledge takes me.

So essentially aside from looking into the wiring harness, pretty much lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom