Speed signal for Holley ECU on my LS swapped 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Crosspost from the ONSC clubhouse, but thought some other swapped folks might be interested:

Been having a blast in my 6L swapped 40. Decided I really wanted speed in my Holley ECU so I could turn off my electric fan at higher speed. Also thought I might use it to play around with a "crawl" tune at some point. I tried using the VSS signal from the back of the speedo cluster, but struck out. Flirted with an Arduino GPS input, but that was so laggy it was useless. So I decided I'd mock a 4L60E VSS signal to the ECU. Here's how:

ECU is looking for a 40 pulse sine wave from the 4L60 trans, so I needed a 40 tooth ring somewhere tied to rotational drivetrain speed. So after debating doing something at the u-joints like some aftermarket kits do (nothing that fits Toyota of course), I decided I'd use the parking drum on my split case. So I drew up a ring that fits perfectly on the smaller diameter of the drum:

1680826402496.png

Uploaded that to sendcutsend.com and in about a week this arrived:

1680826443749.jpeg

Got a coat of paint on it and then tack welded it in a few spots on the parking brake drum. Made a quick little L-bracket to house my inductive speed sensor. Drilled and tapped for a retaining cap screw. Then I positioned the bracket so that there was a proper air-gap and alignment to the toothed ring and welded to my propellor-style tcase mount:

1680826810030.jpeg

1680826870370.png

Then I just had to set up the transmission ICF in my tune to think I have a 4L60E and set a R&P ratio, tire height etc. and BOOM... I now have speed on my little digital display. The best thing was I used ABS sensors off Amazon that are dirt cheap, should they fail. That's why I shyed away from a Hall sensor and a digital frequency input strategy, because I'm not sure how these sensor will stand up to mud and debris over time.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone that's looking to do similar. All in I'm around a hundy bucks and it was a fun learning experience. Hardeat part was trying to get a ground for upside down welding, so booger welds of the sensor bracket had to suffice. Don't judge :D

:beer: Ramon

Nice work. Anymore details on the 40?
Most of the details are in my signature. Unfortunately, I don't have a continuous build thread - different threads spread out over this forum and the ONSC clubhouse. I'm the second owner and had it since she was my DD in college, since '95. She's gone from bone stock -> 4IN spring lift -> SOA ->stock 2f->2F on LPG->2FE on a Megasquirt ECU->(current) LQ9 6.0L LS. I've kept the rest of the drivetrain Toyota LC with a split case with 4:1's, H55F, full float rear from a FJ45, and stock front axle with some old-school Longfields. I used to beat the hell out of her but not nearly as much these days.

Did you save your file on sendcutsend? I bet a few other people would love to have one of these made.
Sure.

Attachments

• Tooted_wheel_v1.dxf
    9.9 KB · Views: 25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom