Spedo Not Working

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by CRZR45, Nov 8, 2005.

1. CRZR45

CRZR45

I searched the Arcives and did not find any info. The Speedometer and Odometer both stoped working at the same time. While driving once and a while the needle will bounce to the current speed and the odometer will work then stop as quick as it started. Now the O/D lite on the dash flashes and Cruise control does not work.. I think it might be the sending unit on the T-Case? I pulled it off and tried to spin the shaft going into the case and it would not spin telling me the speedo gear is still good. Is there a way to test the sender? Or could it be something else?? Any pointers would be great..

2. CRZR45

CRZR45

Fixed it today.....It was the eletric speed sensor on the side of the T-Case. Toyota wanted $200 and a local wrecking yard sold it to me for $15.

3. photogod

photogod

Same problem here. Did your tach still work when the speedo didn't?

4. Fernando Macedo

Fernando Macedo

LJ78 O/D Off light Flashing

Hi All!
    I recently bought a 1993 LJ78 Autommatic. Today my speedometer stop working. I checked and notice the "speedometer cable" (I don't know if this is the correct name in english) is now broken at the entrance of the A/T. Coincidence or not the "O/D Off" light started flashing when the button is set to ON. Can somebody please tell me if this is just a coincidence or if it has anythinh to do with the speedometer cable. If not what can be the problem. Thanks! :crybaby:

5. podiev

podiev

Similar problem related to Speedometer: on my HDJ81, the speedometer's needed does not seem to move steadily - it slighty bounces up/down if the speed is around 10-50-60km. Once I move past that mark, the needle will move steadily just like what a needle is supposed to do.

What's wrong with this speedometer? Fixable? Nothing serious nor something I cannot live by. But if there is low cost and easy fix out there, then it will make looking at the speedometer a lot better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.