Speakers . . . Real Time Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought replacing my front door speakers should be no problem. So I picked up a set of 6.5" Infinity speakers. 2 hours later while being interrupted a half a dozen times by the phone ringing the thought of the $50 Best Buy wanted to install my speakers was starting to seem like a good deal. Never did I think that installing a pair of speakers could be so much trouble. After I got the drivers side in I decided that I should button every thing up so I could get ready and go to work. At this time I though I should turn the radio on and see what the one new speaker sounded like. This is the best part, now I have no sound at all. Not anything from any of my speakers. Is there something to not having a matching set that did this?

Did you cut the plug of the old speakers or just splice the wires? I did mine with Pioneer IIRC and if the wires were reversed..no sound. I checked em' before closing everything up. Shouldn't matter if there are different speakers or if one is missing.

you might have crisscrossed the wires... but that shouldn’t cause the rest of the speakers to go dead.... try unplugging the new speaker. taking the key outta the ignition and reinserting it and turning on the car... see if the speakers work now. if the speakers work then it was your wiring that was the problem... if that doesn’t work you might have blown a fuse somewhere...

Ok. Missed that he wasn't getting sound out of any speakers. Reversed wires would only leave that speaker dead. Fuse sounds like a possibility.

I did splice the wires, maybe that's what happened. According to the directions on the Infinitys the fat male connector is the positive and the skinny was the negative. It must be the opposite on the Toyota speakers. I'll have to examine the connectors on the Toyota speakers and see if they are marked. If not there, I'll check the fuse too.

Last edited:
The factory speakers are definitely marked, there is a + and a - right at the terminals. Look carefully if the terminal area is gunked up. IIRC the wire with the blue stripe is +.

I just put Pioneer 6.5" up front w/ no issues whatsoever. I used a dense but easily compressed foam strip 1/2" thick around the speaker basket to space them away from the window guides, and reused the stock grilles. Beginning to end each side took maybe 45 minutes.

def. check fuses!

Wiring a speaker backwards will not cause it to be dead. It will simply be out of phase with the others (moving in as they are moving out). Some installers intentionally wire speakers out of phase to improve time alignment or frequency response in certain installations.

Start with this:
1. Check fuses
2. Make sure your speaker connections and splices are not contacting any metal. This will ground out the amp and can cause silence or a blown fuse.
3. Unhook the speaker you installed and see if you then get sound out of the rest.
4. Verify your speaker is not damaged or defective. It may pass inspection at the factory, but anything can happen during shipping. Ohm out the coil and see if you get anything close to 4 ohms resistance. Lightly press in on the cone. Does it make any scraping sounds? Can you hook it to another amp or home stereo to check that it works? Can you try the other one?

Check your speakers and wires for a bad ground, or for contacting something (ie window regulator) that could cause a ground fault.

If you have incorrectly grounded your circuit, your head-unit could have gone into "protection" mode to prevent serious damage. Pioneer decks are notorious for going into protection mode by looking at them harshly.

Are you getting any response from the head-unit at all? I mean, do the lights come on and stuff?

I had a similar experience this past weekend when I installed the rear speakers. Somehow one of the contacts had come off of the speaker and probably touched the door or some other part of the speaker. The entire left channel went out, but I got sound out of the right channel. Once I took the speaker out and saw the problem, I re-connected it and everything was fine.

I used the Inifinity speakers as well and the large contact is the positive, but the wire used for the positive was not the one with the black line on the insulation. You may have mixed up the connection when splicing the wires by assuming the wires with the lines are the positive wires.

This also happened to me when i was doing my rear speakers, one of the connectors came out and touched the doors causing it to short didnt blow a fuse, but with my PIoneer receiver it shut off all the sound, i fixed the connector and still no sound, so i had to shut off the cd player and turn it back on, and it worked fine.

Check the connector to the speaker, also are you using a factory cd player or aftermarket????

This also happened to me when i was doing my rear speakers, one of the connectors came out and touched the doors causing it to short didnt blow a fuse, but with my PIoneer receiver it shut off all the sound, i fixed the connector and still no sound, so i had to shut off the cd player and turn it back on, and it worked fine.

Check the connector to the speaker, also are you using a factory cd player or aftermarket????

I think that something similar happened to me. When I pulled the speaker while still connected all the speakers worked. I use the thicker mounting plate in-between the door and the speaker that was supplied. This worked well, the other speaker took me about 15 mins. to install.

Ok, now for the rear door speakers. I went to replace them with the 4" Infinitys that were recomended and I couldn't even get the speaker magnet through the speaker hole. Also even if I could I don't think the the speaker would clear the window track (speaker being to tall). What speakers are recomended for replacement on the back doors and those little speakers back in the cargo area?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom