Speakers for FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You know those things they ahve for jeeps that hang from the rollbar?? they have a set of speakers in them. I was wondering if anyone knows if they will fit on a '70 FJ40 roll bar. I am desperate for speakers, right now i have a box made out of ply wood that is holding my 4 speakers. lol

Thanks

Check out BTB. They sell some that go by the lower flip-out vents. Kind of pricy but may give you an Idea

Heres what I did on my 82 fj40, bought 2 Bose 151 outdoor(waterproof) speakers(retail $250 a pair), mounted them to the roll bar using ARB Airial(CB) mounts(I had a few laying around, new are $15 each). Installed Tuffy console(didn't want to hack dash) Installed 2 MB Quartz speakers in doors(they were already cut or I wouldn't have)

Sounds KILLER, super easy speaker mounts, no hacking up of the body.

24799422.jpg

24799412.jpg

24799346.jpg

You can mount the speakers anyplace on the roll bar if you want, I like em in the corners as they are out of the way and sound great there.

john h

I'm fairly certain that you can pick up one of a number of the J**p accessories with the built in speakers for the roll bars. I didn't run across one that wouldn't work (at least until you pay for it!). I was going to go that route myself, but I wanted to put my own speakers in and I couldn't tell if you could replace the stock speakers in these kits. Tuffy Security also makes several interesting lock/speaker boxes that you might want to check out (they're on the web at www.tuffyproducts.com).

In the end I am fabricating my own sheet-metal security boxes to mount onto the roll bars (above and behind the front seats on my 45). Going to use the old wood boxes on the interior and then build a sheet metal sleeve (with lock) to slide around the wood box. Should be enough of a deterrant for any Seattle hoodlams looking for a new set o speakers.

As an added side note, I bought the Tuffy Deluxe Overhead Console to mount my CB and Stereo head in. It took some wierd modifications to make it fit (The window to roll-bar distance is longer in the 40 than it is on the J**p the product is designed for), but in the end it looks great. (If anyone else had put one of these into your cruiser, I'm interested to know how you did it). Played it smart too, and picked up a few keyed locks from Tuffy for future use, so the speaker boxes and the console are all on the same key.

Tuffy also has some boxes that will work in the fj40 depending on what rollbar you have. They mount on the fenderwells. I have an aftermarket rollbar (custom) and the boxes have a cutout for the rollbar. They fit AWESOME. speakers mount inside the boxes and I also installed the amp inside the boxes for theft prevention. Really happy with the setup.

Noah

Here's my old setup. Pioneer truck boxes mounted on a box I made. Sounded awesome and didn't get in the way of anything (jumpseats, heater).

Hey Landpimp

Landpimp - how did you get the Tuffy console to fit in your 82 FJ40? I thought you couldn't get any Tuffy consoles to fit any FJ40 post 1979 (or so the people at CCOT told me) due to the location of the emergency brake on those models. Did you do some custom fabrication? Let me know as I am interested in getting a console for my 1980 FJ40. Also - which model is that?

Thx,

Andrew

Hey Landpimp

No worries.......

Model was 024(6" with radio) in light gray(maybe a tad too light, still looks good but looked a bit darker in brouchre)

I took out the rear heater(which is under the stock console) Looped the rear htr hose together(even used and OEM hose) In WA the loss of the rear heater was no worry, front works plenty well

Played with where I wanted it, had plenty of room for the shifter if in 2nd/4th,rvs so your hand doesn't hit the console. I placed the console to the passanger side as far as I could(without being too far over, pushing into seat)

The front of the console rests on the raised part of the tub, I used the captive holes in the tub to mount it to, redrilled the Tuffy not the body) The front has enough room to get the radio wires into the bottom. Bolts to body are in the radio part of the console.

For the rear mount I once again used the stock tub captive nuts/mount and re-drilled the Tuffy not the tub) I found some nylon spacers(pipe or bushing ect would work) to space the bottom up level with the front, I think they were 1-2" not very tall) Got longer bolts/washers ect. To figure out where to drill the TUffy I cut some heads off 2 bolts, sharpened then to a point, bolted down the front end(kinda a PITA as the bolts are inthe radio compartment(used hex head bolts I think) Once mounted I hit the bottom of the Tuffy with a hamer, it left dimples where to drill(did same on front I think) Placed spacers under it, ran bolts thru and bolted down. Mounted drink holder to front, zip tied a little catch-all bag to it.

DIdn't use any of the hardware that come with the Tuffy, went to ACE(they have a GREAT metric section) and got the stuff I needed.

No interference at ALL with the parking brake or shifter or anything, it fit perfect and I didn't hack up one thing. I did take the top pad off the Tuffy as it raised it up to high for my liking. Used some carpet to cover the top, only thing is I wish the latch didn't stick out the top....but suprisingly I haven't hit my elbow in it.....

Ran the wires for the rear speakers under the access hatch for gas tank and under to the frame, ran em along some other stuff....forget what, up thru a stock gromet in the rear corners. Ran the wires for the CD player along the heater lines, under the mat, up into the front of the console(had just over an inch to work with) To unbolt the console the CD player has to come out, no hard but kinda a PITA

Came out REAL well and would do it again in a heartbeat......oh I did I put a 8" in my fj60 :D

If you want anything yell.

John H

[quote author=NJFJ40 link=board=1;threadid=7356;start=msg62376#msg62376 date=1068680466]
Landpimp - how did you get the Tuffy console to fit in your 82 FJ40? I thought you couldn't get any Tuffy consoles to fit any FJ40 post 1979 (or so the people at CCOT told me) due to the location of the emergency brake on those models. Did you do some custom fabrication? Let me know as I am interested in getting a console for my 1980 FJ40. Also - which model is that?

Thx,

Andrew
[/quote]

Thx Landpimp

Great info on the console install - thx again.

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom