SPC UCAs hitting fender well (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So no one else has had this happen?

I’ve had hard contact, but never punched a hole through my fender well. The bumpstop on the LCA probably could do to be lengthened a little. Maybe progressive one like was said previously.

@ToyotaIsLife might be able to provide some insight. I've seen his posts of jumping dunes.

I’d pull the shock and cycle. Something isn’t doing it’s job.

Been following this... appreciate you posting this up. When I get my suspension on this fall (probably with Nitro Gear's or TT's UCAs) I will definitely be cycling the arms without the coilovers installed to check for clearance.

@ToyotaIsLife might be able to provide some insight. I've seen his posts of jumping dunes.

Yes I have it the fender well many times, I also punched a hole threw it on both sides. I still run with the factory bump stops(slightly trimmed) without spacers though since it maximizes up travel. I dont mind cosmetic damage. You could address it by installing bump stop spacers, I tried it and it ruined the ride quality for me so I removed it again.

Just to be clear, I see nothing wrong with the SPC UCA’s or any others for that matter. If you send it or hit a sand ledge hard like I did, you’ll have max up travel and will hit the bumpstop, and if that’s not enough, may even contact the wheel well. Personally, I wouldn’t let that Stop me or anyone else from using aftermarket UCA’s.

Agreed it's not the UCA. Unless the aftermarket UCA is constructed such that it is more prominent up top increasing the likelihood of contact. Suspension up travel geometry is governed by the LCA and bump stop. Spring and shock doesn't really matter (other than dynamic handling of compression).

In other car worlds I've been a part of (lowered sports cars), where uptravel is precious and contact a regular thing... Cutting a relief or using an air hammer to clearance the fender against where the UCA will contact is a common mod. Wonder if others that drive hard have any witness marks showing where the contact is happening? That would be the spot to clearance. I think we have a double fender in that clearancing the wheel liner won't show against the engine side fender well.

Monica, the baja racing beast, comes to mind. They must experience this regularly. @dmc

Monica, the baja racing beast, comes to mind. They must experience this regularly. @dmc

Monica has a body lift though, (I can't remember how much, 1-2" though) which would greatly reduce the likelihood of hard contact.

^Great point.

Perhaps that may even answer a question that wasn't asked. Should more aggressive builds or aggressively driven builds of the 200-series adopt a mild body lift? It would solve this contact issue. We also need to see some setups with 36s.

Last edited:
Perhaps slightly off topic but does anyone run hydraulic bump stops? I wanted to experiment with these on my GX to get very progressive right at the end of travel. But the length of the bump stop compared to the height of the lift would have put the bump stop on or very near the LCA at right height. My plan with the 200 was to run internal bypasses up front (and external rear) so that I can tune the end range of travel to be very progressive. Effectively act like a hydraulic bump stop. But curious if anyone has used hydraulic bumps on a 200. Either hydraulic bumps or internals might help control extreme situations like this better.

That said, I'm speculating. I do have experience tuning shocks, but not for high shaft speed bottom out conditions (was not a factor in how I used my FJ-62 or GX). But I will be discussing this with whoever I buy my suspension from (King or Fox, because they both offer internal coilover bypasses).

I missed the part where the OP stated the eccentrics sheared off. That would allow the lower arm to move outward which would effect the bump stop engagement point. This would allow for more up travel and most likely why your arms punched holes in the wheel wells.

Perhaps slightly off topic but does anyone run hydraulic bump stops? I wanted to experiment with these on my GX to get very progressive right at the end of travel. But the length of the bump stop compared to the height of the lift would have put the bump stop on or very near the LCA at right height. My plan with the 200 was to run internal bypasses up front (and external rear) so that I can tune the end range of travel to be very progressive. Effectively act like a hydraulic bump stop. But curious if anyone has used hydraulic bumps on a 200. Either hydraulic bumps or internals might help control extreme situations like this better.

That said, I'm speculating. I do have experience tuning shocks, but not for high shaft speed bottom out conditions (was not a factor in how I used my FJ-62 or GX). But I will be discussing this with whoever I buy my suspension from (King or Fox, because they both offer internal coilover bypasses).

I run these on the front, they work pretty good. I can still feel bottom outs but they are nowhere near as harsh as the stock bumps
Duro Bumps

In the rear, my bypasses have a hydraulic bump zone.

I run these on the front, they work pretty good. I can still feel bottom outs but they are nowhere near as harsh as the stock bumps
Duro Bumps

In the rear, my bypasses have a hydraulic bump zone.

Nice! Will definitely keep these in mind for the front and glad I'm not completely off track on wanting to use bypasses to add a lot of progressivity to the last bit of travel.

Upon further review, my upper arms are contacting the body. They have not caused damage to the metal, only the undercoating. I have bottomed out numerous times and not really worried about it.
20200730_185502.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom