SPC A Arm Squeak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Today, I drilled and tapped my SPC UCA for grease zerks and this also means I drilled through the poly so the grease would get to the inner steel sleeve. The squeak was starting to sound like an out of tune clarinet. When I had the UCA ball joint free, I could raise and lower it by hand and determine that the noise was coming from just the front bushing, not the aft bushing. After loosening the main nut and bold I added grease to the zerk, then retorqued, I raised and lowered three or four times and then in stopped squeeeeking. So I hope the grease made it into the area needed. The vehicle right side bushings have been quiet so far but I still added zerks to them.

Markuson, thank you for making that contact with SPC because the last thing I tried last month before the zerks as to loosen the main nut and bolt enough to clean the surface between the large washer and the poly bushing, I then made a washer out out of HDPE then cut it so I could install the front of the bolt without removing the batt. Thinking this would change the resination of the two moving part and added some grease to be sure. Clarinet noise still persisted. (type of grease didn't matter at this point)

So to summarize, the main squeeeeeek was coming from the contact area between the steel inner sleeve and the polyurethane bushing. If there was a squeeek coming from the washers contact with the polyurethane then it was not as loud.

View attachment 2358764
Update: About a year latter from when I installed the grease zerks. They started squeaking again from the same polly bushings. The grease I used at that time of the poly bushing repack was a lithium base high tack blue OMC Triple Guard marine grease. So this time I gave each a couple of pumps of Chevron Ulti-Plex Synthetic EP. There is no more squeaking. Ck out the specs of that grease if you are in the market for a one grease gun and done.

The ball joints get the same Chevron grease at each oil change and have never heard a squeak from them.

The bushing at the top of my shocks were causing some noise a couple of years ago when the "dreaded clunk" was happening to different models of OME shocks. I took care of that by removing the top nut and adding an additional washer on top to crush the bushings a little bit more and that took care of that OME bushing problem. So I would make sure your top mount assy is secure while you are in in that wheel well. The OME bushing material that squeaks may result in a clunk that will auger out the shock mount on the frame, front and rear position. Just saying to take a look at that area also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom