Spartan Locker Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bama4door

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Ok guys...probably a stupid question and I've been scratching my head thinking about this one.

I got my Spartan Locker in the mail on Monday, got everything torn down (removed tires, took out axle shafts, took off rear diff cover to get access to carrier, removed stock spider gears and center pin). So the carrier was gutless and I finished installing the locker while it was still in the axle (pretty simple).

So here's my question and where I think I messed up. I put the locker in the carrier while it was still in the truck, but did not put the axle shafts back in. All of the install instructions I've seen have been with the 3rd out on the bench and then they put the whole 3rd back in the axle. How do they end up getting the C-clips back in the freakin thing??

My thoughts now are I'm going to have to rip the locker back out, put the shafts back in with c clips and then install the locker again...someone please correct me if this is wrong.

You can't do a rear third install on the bench. It has to be done in the axle because of the c-clips. The front third has to be done on a bench because the front cover of the axle isn't removable.

To get the c-clips in, you have to find the slots that were cut into the locker, and slide the c-clips in that way. You can't have the center pin installed either because the center pin keeps the axles from pushing in, and it also locks in the c-clip retainer cups that float inside the center pucks of the locker.

I have an Aussie Locker. It is slightly different than the Spartan but I will guess it is a similar install but the order of assembly may be different. Look for an install video on YouTube. I put the locker in while the third member was in the axle with YouTube help.

Thanks guys, just to clarify the 3rd is in the axle still. I'm assuming most of the installs I've seen are front 3rd's.

So it seems like I'll have to take the center pin out along with the drivers to put the c-clips in...does this sound right?

You need to leave the drivers and the retainer cups (in the drivers) in the diff. Basically, the locker should be assembled in the carrier, minus the pins/springs and center pin. Push the axle shaft in, slide the c-clip in and make sure it's on the axle, pull the axle shaft out again to seat the c-clip, and then push the driver onto the side gear, and finally push the retainer cup over the end of the axle shaft, capturing the c-clip. Repeat for the other side (I do driver side first, then passenger because of ring gear location), and install the center pin. Don't forget to pull the little retainer pins out that capture the pin/springs in the driver gears.

Use lots of heavy grease. It helps hold the parts in place and keeps you from cussing. :)

Thanks for the walk through Josh.

Yea the problem is I've already pulled the retainer pins out of the springs, not sure how to get those back out now. I'll have to take a look at it after work.

Push them in with a screwdriver, reinsert the keeper pins. I had to do that when I swapped my Spartan from a 3.70 diff to a 4.11 diff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom