Spare Tire (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will a 285x75Rx15 fit in the spare tire carrier? I was thinking of getting a skinner but same size hight so that it won't decrease ground clearance.

Kurt,
You probably won't find a 285x75Rx15 but a 285/75R16 will fit just fine.
-B-

My 285 fit up there till I swapped my rear bumper, so then I got the swing away..

Yomama

Jim,
Here is one I made several years ago. My background is in heavy equipment and as you can see it is, well, heavy. Turned down a Chevy front spindle on my lathe for the swing pivot. Hope this helps and hope the picture shows up. :)
Bill

Hey Bill,

Let's hook that up to a horse and plow the back 40.... :D

&nbsp:Dan

Photo,
Nice to see you made it.
grinning-smiley-003.gif

Gumby - how bootiefab is your rear bumper?
welding2_02.gif
You do it yourself or get some help? :D

Pretty darn bootie fabulishious and comin' off, I think. I'm needing more departure angle. The new bumper is going to be nearly flush with the tail gate with the reciever where the pintle hook is now. I might make a reciever mounted carrier just for wheeling and use the cell when I get a flat the rest of the time. I dunno yet, but changes need to be made after Attica with Woody this weekend. ARB was ordered before I left, steel for sliders and the new rear bumper is being bought Monday. Hopefully Woody got some good digital carnage pics. Mine are all on film. No more rear corner plastic, Smittybuilt tube steps are bent like bananas, manik bar is bent even more than the Feb trip, Exhaust is flat to about 1" in three places. No major sheet metal damage though.
Pics of the tire carrier at:
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/tballard...order=&.view=t&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/

Woody-

If you want to get rid of that swing out carrier, let me know, I would be interested in it.

Woody? I meant Gumby! :)

Cool Gumby. Sounds like ya had a blast.

Can't say enough good things about cutting off the rear crossmember to really tuck in that rear bumper. It's made a huge diff in my wheeling. If you do go that route, you'll laugh at the OEM crossmember once you hack it off - it's like tin foil. :eek:

DRTDUCK - I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet. I was hoping I was going to spend spring break finishing the 80 series coil conversion and FI on the 40. Trying desperately to get it to work as good as the obvously superior 80 series, doncha know. Now I've got all this bootiefab work to do on the 80 thanks to Woody and the Badlands. :D Then I wans't home an hour last night and I started getting calls from people who want me to fix thier junk while I'm on vacation. :'(
I get it all sorted this week and let you know. PM me if I take too long.

Junk - Where's your spare with no crossmember in the back? Did you re-route your exhaust or just cut off the coffee can?

Gumby, Spare? What? Who needs one? :eek: :D.... Just need to get the swing arms built, for now it's in the cargo area taking up way too much room (Lance does great work though - yeah, 55 Lance :D - great friend of mine). For now, the coffee can just got hacked, but I'm just gonna get some tube bent and route it up over the frame rail then tuck it down to exit. Should be ok. So while the whole
aktion081.gif
end has been shortened, the whole back is now basically a rock skid plate - and has been used rather aggressively. :eek: :D This pic isn't of mine - it's Scott Simmons, but his and mine will be cousins.
Mvc-297f.jpg

damn nice bumper
might have to look at it and make one similar :D
been looking at the spare and looks like it hangs lower than it should for offroad use

Junk
Just posted a request for those pics on a different thread so disregard, question for ya though, did you add all of the lower sheilds for protection or for structure on the rear crossmember? I was hoping to do mine (homegrown brainchild) this month but not sure if I will hae the time.
Dave

Phaedrus,
Not really sure I understand exactly your question.

On the bumper, everything on the side is for protection. Underneath is all the support.

Does that answer? :dunno:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom