Spare tire retrieval help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.bowtielawyer.ms
I need help getting my spare. It Is stuck. I have read the manual. Searched here and trial and error. The winch will not lower and it's as if the hook you put in there will not engage. Any trick to this ?

I had a flat in the boonies. Wrestled with the spare for an hour and had to take flat tire off. Hitch to tire shop. Hitch back to cruiser and put tire back on.

Thanks
Matt

Probably rusted in place. Have you dropped the spare any other time?

If you can visualize the "winch" mechanism spray it liberally with something like PB Blaster, every day for the next few days. Hopefully this will work.

The next step might be the application of heat if you have good access to it.

Lastly cutting it down. The chain at least, to free the spare. This had to be done on my brother's old 60 series.

If you can get the tire down try and lubricate the mechanism yearly. I've also heard of people putting spare tire covers on to help prevent/reduce road grime from gumming the "winch" up.

Good luck.

If you really can't get it down. Unbolt the whole assembly and then work on it. There are 4 bolts holding the cross member up.

Its easy to cut yourself because of the metal. Be careful with your wrenches and the immidiate bolt loosening.

If you really can't get it down. Unbolt the whole assembly and then work on it. There are 4 bolts holding the cross member up.

Its easy to cut yourself because of the metal. Be careful with your wrenches and the immidiate bolt loosening.

Put a jack under the center of the wheel, lift until engaged to wheel, unbolt the crossmember and lower the jack. That should give you access to the entire assembly so you can figure out your problem.

All ideas Ive used .PB blaster sprayed on for a week should work, Could try hitting the center with a small sledge hammer also to knock the crud loose. Mike

To lower the spare on my 06 you have to insert a keyed end into the hole to crank down the spare tire (kinda like the keyed end of a wheel lock). Are you sure you have to stick the hooked into the hole? I know on my 4runner that's the way it is but not on the hundy. Who knows may be different throughout the years. :D

BFH in order?

I would guess Trunk Monkey and jhrrld is onto it.
You need the keyed piece instead of the hook.
Sounds like getting the hook/crank to engage is the problem. Not a stuck winch.

Macneills truck had a eyelet that you put the hooked crank in, on mine I have the keyed crank....learned that when we were swapping spare wheels.

Stuck Spare

My 2000 has a slot on the "winch" that the "hook" on the end of the crank assembly fits into. Use a bright flashlight through the square hole in the rear bumper to look at what you are trying to stab the crank into. That should give you some insight into what you are wrestling with.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom