Spare Tire Max Weight? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. Does anyone know what the max weight capacity is for the spare wheel/tire on a 2016 LC200?

I recently upgraded my wheels and tires to 17" Icon Rebounds and Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws (LT285/70/17). I purchased a 5th to use as a spare, but wasn't sure if this was going to be too heavy to store underneath - the total weight of each wheel/tire seems to be about 89 pounds based on website info.

While the diameter of the tire seems to fit fine, the tire shop that did the installation thought that the new wheel/tire may be too heavy for the stock chain and suggested that I not store the spare underneath. They also suggested purchasing additional chains to keep it secure if I really wanted to try to store it there.

For those with a similar wheel/tire setup, where do you keep your spare? Did you have to purchase extra chains or cables to keep it secure?

Thanks.

My spare has stayed in place, you should be fine.
lx570-jump-jpg.2884213

Hello everyone. Does anyone know what the max weight capacity is for the spare wheel/tire on a 2016 LC200?

I recently upgraded my wheels and tires to 17" Icon Rebounds and Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws (LT285/70/17). I purchased a 5th to use as a spare, but wasn't sure if this was going to be too heavy to store underneath - the total weight of each wheel/tire seems to be about 89 pounds based on website info.

While the diameter of the tire seems to fit fine, the tire shop that did the installation thought that the new wheel/tire may be too heavy for the stock chain and suggested that I not store the spare underneath. They also suggested purchasing additional chains to keep it secure if I really wanted to try to store it there.

For those with a similar wheel/tire setup, where do you keep your spare? Did you have to purchase extra chains or cables to keep it secure?

Thanks.
I’m running the same size tire and a similar weight total. Only thing I did was build up the bumpers in the spare tire well with duct tape so the tire sits stationary (as for me the larger side wobbled). No issues.

Thanks for the replies. When the shop tried hoisting the spare up, it seemed to struggle, which is why they were hesitant to store it there.

Glad to hear that others are not having any issues.

I'll also check to see if I need to add any duct tape to make it more stable.

Thanks for the replies. When the shop tried hoisting the spare up, it seemed to struggle, which is why they were hesitant to store it there.

Glad to hear that others are not having any issues.

I'll also check to see if I need to add any duct tape to make it more stable.
If you live somewhere salty the mechanism might have some rust on it. Might need to drop the tire and spray the heck out of it with silicone lubricant.

There only limitation on putting a spare under the vehicle is tire size, not weight. You can't go larger than a 34" (generally speaking). But I've got 90# tucked up under there for the last 60k miles including several hundred miles of bumpy offroad trails and it doesn't move.

I’m running the same size tire and a similar weight total. Only thing I did was build up the bumpers in the spare tire well with duct tape so the tire sits stationary (as for me the larger side wobbled). No issues.
Did you remove the "nub"? There's a little metal bracket on the frame back towards the axle. It's held on by 2 bolts IIRC. If you have a stock tire that little thing helps align it when you crank it up and will help hold it in place. If you have an oversized tire you'll want to remove it, at which point the spare will rest up against the frame when it's fully cranked.

There only limitation on putting a spare under the vehicle is tire size, not weight. You can't go larger than a 34" (generally speaking). But I've got 90# tucked up under there for the last 60k miles including several hundred miles of bumpy offroad trails and it doesn't move.
Thanks! Good to hear.

I'll look for that nub as well.

If you live somewhere salty the mechanism might have some rust on it. Might need to drop the tire and spray the heck out of it with silicone lubricant.

This is likely why it seemed to struggle. Rust or not, lubing that mechanism helps a lot.

Did you remove the "nub"? There's a little metal bracket on the frame back towards the axle. It's held on by 2 bolts IIRC. If you have a stock tire that little thing helps align it when you crank it up and will help hold it in place. If you have an oversized tire you'll want to remove it, at which point the spare will rest up against the frame when it's fully cranked.
I did not take it off. Will now. Thanks you the heads up.

I'm planning on getting a 285/55/20 or 265/60/20 tire mounted to my 20" OEM spare which will be a very close match to my 285/65/18's. The diameter is 32.3" should I remove the "nub" or is that only needed for larger diameter, say 33"+ ?

Last edited:
I'm planning on getting a 285/55/20 or 265/60/20 tire mounted to my 20" OEM spare which will be a very close match to my 285/65/18's. The diameter is 32.3" should I remove the "nub" or is that only needed for larger diameter, say 33"+ ?

You can fit up to a 34. I ran a 295/70/18 and it was tight but not touching

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom