Spare tire insertion into rotation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So just wondering what the minimum tread depth differences between the spare and the "other 4" tires would be so that the spare can be introduced into the rotation? New to me LX has 24K miles on it. Stock 21" wheels and Dunlop tires. At 22K miles the RR tire was replaced and I don't think the spare has ever been run, (looks new). In a thousand miles, anybody see any problems with inserting the spare into the rotation? I need to check the tread depths and see what the differences are for sure, but what's too much difference in tread wear to run?

Or would it be better to just run the 4 tire rotations until they need to be replaced? Assuming their treads are comparable.

You have nothing to worry about with ANY street tire much less most AT tires that have different tread wear. The rotational differences between them is entirely inconsequential.

I wouldn't worry about it. The drivetrain in the 200-series is exceedingly robust and won't be bothered the minor difference in tread depth. Drop it in and run it.

Shouldn't be a problem, though you'll want to check and make sure the spare tire storage bumpers haven't worn cosmetic blemishes onto the spare wheel before install. Usually more of an issue on high-mileage trucks where it hasn't been disturbed, but if the PO managed to get some sand/mud in there I could see it turning into a visible defect.

I would put the spare and the new tire on the rear and call it a day. Do a 5 tire rotation moving forward. I bought my lx with 10,000 miles on it. I started putting the spare into the rotation at 15k and didn’t have any problems.

Shouldn't be a problem, though you'll want to check and make sure the spare tire storage bumpers haven't worn cosmetic blemishes onto the spare wheel before install. Usually more of an issue on high-mileage trucks where it hasn't been disturbed, but if the PO managed to get some sand/mud in there I could see it turning into a visible defect.
May I hijack this thread, bloc? I just had some proper tires put on my 2013 and I noticed the spare wheel has some cosmetic damage on its face and the tire had some serious welts on the sidewall from being smushed against something. Should I infer that the the thing wasn't placed up there properly or should I pad it somehow--do the "bumpers" wear out? I'd like to do a 5 wheel rotation, but don't want all my wheels $#@*ed up. I never had any storage wounds on my Tacoma spare...

:cheers:

May I hijack this thread, bloc? I just had some proper tires put on my 2013 and I noticed the spare wheel has some cosmetic damage on its face and the tire had some serious welts on the sidewall from being smushed against something. Should I infer that the the thing wasn't placed up there properly or should I pad it somehow--do the "bumpers" wear out? I'd like to do a 5 wheel rotation, but don't want all my wheels $#@*ed up. I never had any storage wounds on my Tacoma spare...

:cheers:
I think dirt and sand eventually get smashed into the face of the rubber pads, so in a way they probably do wear out. One of my stock wheels had four very noticeable blemishes from the pads, and as far as I can tell It hadn’t ever been dropped from under the back.

Mine had noticeable blemishes after 15k miles. I think the factory over tightens the spare and the bumps dent/rub them over time. Mine weren’t bad so I put it into rotation.

Mine had noticeable blemishes after 15k miles. I think the factory over tightens the spare and the bumps dent/rub them over time. Mine weren’t bad so I put it into rotation.
I would assume the tighter the better, personally. If it’s loose at all the movement from normal driving would increase abrasion and dirt intrusion.. or at least this makes sense in my head.

I would assume the tighter the better, personally. If it’s loose at all the movement from normal driving would increase abrasion and dirt intrusion.. or at least this makes sense in my head.
Agreed. In my case i could barely break it loose to drop the spare. When I rotate I put it in there very snug, but not so tight i have to get a breaker bar out.

Folks should exercise and lube the mechanism that lifts and holds the spare in place whenever you rotate your tires - regardless if the spare is part of the rotation. That mechanism is prone to seizing up. Especially if you live in states that use road "salt" in the winter. The last thing you want is to have a flat and not be able to get the spare down.

Last edited:
Also to avoid seizing it is good to make sure the chain doesn’t get too twisted as the tire is pulled up.

Agreed. In my case i could barely break it loose to drop the spare. When I rotate I put it in there very snug, but not so tight i have to get a breaker bar out.

There is a spring on the chain hook.. I try to make sure that spring is compressed, but going beyond that probably serves no purpose.

I guess I am odd man out. I replaced factories when they wore out with Nitto Terra Grappler G2. I only ever did 4 tire rotation with factories and doing same with Nitto's. The Nitto's are factory size so I still have factory spare. Thanks for reminder I should lower that tire and clean/grease the up/down mechanism.

My great grandmother always said "never hijack another mans thread" but I'm glad I did this time. I'm going to take a closer look under there and clean things up if needed.

I guess I am odd man out. I replaced factories when they wore out with Nitto Terra Grappler G2. I only ever did 4 tire rotation with factories and doing same with Nitto's. The Nitto's are factory size so I still have factory spare. Thanks for reminder I should lower that tire and clean/grease the up/down mechanism.
If your rig has been a texas one its whole life it most likely isn't needed. Grease will only serve to attract dirt to the mechanism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom