Sound amplifier location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all! I'm planning on upgrading my sound system in FJ62 and looking for a place to put the amplifier. Has anyone put it in the cargo space behind one of the side panels? My concern is heat but people put amps in trunks all the time. But I figured I'd ask. I have a 4 channel amp that will be powering 6 speakers. It's a pretty small amp. I was going to originally mount it under the drivers seat but will be putting a compact subwoofer instead. I have one under the passenger seat and aftger hearing how good it is I now want two :p

Hey all! I'm planning on upgrading my sound system in FJ62 and looking for a place to put the amplifier. Has anyone put it in the cargo space behind one of the side panels? My concern is heat but people put amps in trunks all the time. But I figured I'd ask. I have a 4 channel amp that will be powering 6 speakers. It's a pretty small amp. I was going to originally mount it under the drivers seat but will be putting a compact subwoofer instead. I have one under the passenger seat and aftger hearing how good it is I now want two :p

Nope your gonna be the first, no subs in the cruisers, takes up to much valuable space.
Your also mainly talking to a bunch of old guys who don’t do that stuff anymore

that being said I like where your going and use of the space.

it’s a long way from the subs but yes a rear quarter would be a fine place to mount an amp. I wouldn’t worry about the heat anymore than I would worry about it in a trunk of a car

Have thought about some subs myself and wanted to put them in the rear quarters, just couldn’t find any shallow enough to build a box around and to fit flush back there.

post up some pics when your done with the driver seat side, I’m not giving up the heater for sound

Here is the passenger side which is already done. The model subwoofer is Cerwin Vega VPAS10. It's awesome but I want 2 now :p I already bought the second. I cut a piece of 3/16 aluminum plate I had laying around and sandwiched it between the seat itself and mounting rails. The whole install took about an hour.

I will go ahead and put the amp where I suggested. I'll let you all know how it goes.

IMG_20200519_190953.jpg

IMG_20200519_191933.jpg

IMG_20200520_194931.jpg

The nice thing about this setup too is that thieves cant see there are subs under the seats unless they break in.

This is where I stuck a 200 watt amp for my sub. I just used a downfiring pioneer 10" that sounds great. It can be moved around the rear and matches the carpet color. Really have to look hard for it once the windows are tinted.

IMG_7098.JPG

This is where I stuck a 200 watt amp for my sub. I just used a downfiring pioneer 10" that sounds great. It can be moved around the rear and matches the carpet color. Really have to look hard for it once the windows are tinted.

View attachment 2528146

This is exactly like what I was thinking! This confirms it. I'm going to go this route. Looks great!

I just went through the same thing and ended up putting my 4 channel amp under the drivers seat because it was a shorter run for the wiring. I plan to add a powered sub in the cargo area side panel. One advantage to putting the amp under the drivers seat is access for tuning the crossover and high/low pass filters on the amp. I know I will want to keep dialing it in, and if I had to crawl into the back it would be a pain.

I just went through the same thing and ended up putting my 4 channel amp under the drivers seat because it was a shorter run for the wiring. I plan to add a powered sub in the cargo area side panel. One advantage to putting the amp under the drivers seat is access for tuning the crossover and high/low pass filters on the amp. I know I will want to keep dialing it in, and if I had to crawl into the back it would be a pain.
Yeah. That's what I was going to do but then I can't put a second sub in. I listen to a lot of hip hop so thump is a must. 1 sub is good but not balanced when mounted under the seat. I figure I'll install the amp and leave the panel off for a while until I find the right settings. Then I'll button it up and be done! :)

I put my amp in the passenger side rear quarter 400 watt 4 channel. I use 2 channels for the front speakers and bridged the other 2 for the sub. I have 2 different sub boxes that I run depending on the situation. I have a small 8" sub and box that I throw in the rear passenger footwell or a 12" box that I put in the back. Just depends on whether I have stuff in the back or not what I use. 12" sub definitely pumps way better than the 8".

I also put a four channel under the driver seat. I read that instead of screwing it to the floor installers mount it on a board glued to the floor. I pulled back all the carpeting and used sikaflex on top of my sound deadner and set a piece of 3/4” plywood sized just larger than the amp. Once dry I pulled the carpet over the board and screwed down the amp. Worked great and as mentioned it’s easy to adjust and wire the amp.
Building it with my son so just wired box speakers in the back so he can place them on the roof or tailgate, 5 1/4” up front and the 10” down facing sub in the back.
sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom