SOR headers installed/Smog pump Prob. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I live in SOCAL but 84 fj60 is reg in Virginia " a US Marine thing" Just had a set of SOR headers installed, but the Mech said that the smog pump runs the water pump. I was hoping to rid my fj of all smog components. Is it possible to have the engine run the water pump? And am I wrong in thinking that I can have all smog components removed? Not worried about smog checks. All input is welcome.
Thanks,

There are three belts. The one your mech is referring to runs water pump and air pump. To eliminate the smog pump you can do one of three things: gut the pump, install a smog pump eliminator (basically just a pully), or install a second alternator. SOR has the pully.

Thanks, Doug
I will try gutting the pump first.

Oh SOR no longer carries the eliminator.

jimC sells a "eliminator" pulley also; $100 check or $104 paypal.

you can also "custom" run your belts here is a pic of my current set up that will change when i get jimc's pulley

no ps and no smog pump, the second belt (one to right) is as tight as a virgins ass.

Last edited:
Sorry who is jimC and how do I get a hold of him? And Do I need a heat riser set up?

Thanks for the pic, makes sense now.
Chris

boerboel313 said:
Oh SOR no longer carries the eliminator.

Seriously? I'm soo glad I ordered mine when I did then!

boerboel313 said:
Sorry who is jimC and how do I get a hold of him? And Do I need a heat riser set up?

Thanks for the pic, makes sense now.
Chris

you can contact him: fj40jim@aol.com

not sure on the heat riser

the mailman just dropped of my new eliminator, very nice.

Last edited:
Thanks, I've e-mailed jim and just waiting on the reply.

Headers and smog components

So with the headers in place is it simple to rid my 84 fj60 of all it's smog Components? How does one plug all the uneeded vacume hoses

From both an SOR tech and my mechanic, I have heard that a heat riser is important. MAF used to make something that circulated coolant under the carb, but I've heard that it's no longer available. Suggestions from SOR and my mech. were to fab some sort of shroud that captured heat from the headers. Sor said one guy welded the shroud to his headers, but I would be inclined to just bolt it in to were the stock exhaust manifold used to bolt in. I am not sure if the riser would be so neccessary in the summer weather.

I pick up my cruiser today so I'll let you all know how it's going. I will call SOR and ask them a bit more about the heat riser and how it's installed. Any ideas for post #10? Everyones advise has been most helpful, thanks you all.

Acctually the heat riser fro MAF is still available it's on sale right now for 59 bucks I belive. I installed one last mont when I did my whole engine swap and header that I got from then.

What do you think of the MAF riser? I've got headers and am still riserless. Did you notice an improvement?

I went ahead and just ordered the riser. Figured for $50, even if it only helps a little, I can't go wrong.

Yup U cant go wrong with the heat riser. I never ran without the heat riser but i'm sure it would make a big diffrence. Specially in colder wheather where U wouldn't have that heat for the carb and Fuel to mix properly.

I GUESS I'll order the riser. Thanks

I've noticed that until it warms up or have driven 3-5 miles or so that it's very jerky when starting from a stand still. However, I have noticed a significant increase in power especially considering my exhaust leak has been rectified. I need to know what else can be pulled from the eng compartment. I will be sending the carb and cap to jim. About how much $$$ and how long will it take? Gas mileage is still enconclusive for I've do a considerable amount of short city trips of about 10 miles round trip. Before, I would get around 220-230 if I was lucky with a 50/50 split between hwy/city.

I just got the heat riser from MAF for 50.00 plus shipping. I need to install it but haven't yet. Seems like a pretty straightforward install. They say you must remove the carb to do it. I noticed as soon as it started getting cold, my truck ran like crap and it took about 15 minutes to warm up and start to run right. I am hoping the HR takes care of this problem. I will post up my results when I get her done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom