Something loose in drivetrain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

Ive been having this issue since I bought the car 5-6 months ago.

Everytime i brake, i feel like something somwere in the drivetrain moves out of place, and when I accelerate, it goes back into place or vive-versa. I dont know how else to explain it.

Its does not fee like its slop in the drive train, like u joints, R&P, or similar things.

It kinda feels like the engine or tranny is moving back and forth everytime. I tightened all 3 motor mounts with no luck.

Side note that I also have a suspension clunk everytime i go over speed bumps(10-15mpg), but I am not sure if they are related. Ive checked shocks, sway bar, panhards with no luck.

By the way, this is for my 96, so no lift, everything stock.

Sounds eerily similar to those that have had their caliper bolts come loose. Check those first and right away!

Checked already, I did the front brakes last week, and torqued them to spec.

The front wheel bearing were also loose, so tightened them to spec. I will doing a knuckle rebuilt within the next month.

How did you check the shocks? My reason for asking: replacing my shocks with a new set of OEMs completely removed the speed bump clunk. I'm no help with any other issue listed, sorry.

How did you check the shocks? My reason for asking: replacing my shocks with a new set of OEMs completely removed the speed bump clunk. I'm no help with any other issue listed, sorry.
I tried to move them up or down to see if they bolts were loose, or the bushings were screwed up. I have a set of stock shocks, maybe i should try them. Good Point

Does you gear shifter move a little bit when you stop and go back in place when you go forward? Mine has done this since I have owned it and I have seen a few threads where it happens to others. I have concluded that it is normal but if you find something please keep us posted.

The speed bump clunk is common and usually it's the front axle shaft bouncing up and down within the spindle bushing. Small percent find the body mount under the driver has some slack. If it's the former you'll have the audible impression it's the left front suspension. A shock change may alter the frequency of the suspension movement and the new bushings may further reduce the bit of fast movement the suspension needs to make that axle shaft clunk.

DougM

I had a very similar issue a while back that drove me CRAZY! Finally figured out that it was the ebrake assembly that located on the inside of the rear brake rotors. A spring had broke and the ebrake assy would shift upon braking and accel at random times.

From the sound of your issue it mirrored my symptoms. Try that = my .02.

Good luck!

Noise we had was in the cats breaking off their mounts and rattling. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom