Someone further my disco education (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
at the request of Rogue I surfed a disco site... somebody answer a couple questions...

do they have models with 3 diffs so they can lock all 4 wheels for independent 4 wheel drive?

Hmmm. I have heard yes and no. The only other vehicle that has ever come with F,C,&R lockers is the MB G-class to my knowledge for sure.

The Discos are Fulltime like our 80s and came stock with a locking center diff for awhile, and the new ones are easy to modify, so i've read.

Land Cruisers are truely the only way to go though. :bow:

Not sure 100% sure on this; but my understanding from Disco IIs I've wheeled with is that the diffs are computer controlled using a traction control system. The center diff will lock but only when shifting from H to L.

Foiled again by Rogue! :mad: seem to be a minute behind on my replies. 8)

do they have models with 3 diffs so they can lock all 4 wheels for independent 4 wheel drive?
Like all 4wd vehicles they have a front and rear diff, some have F & R lockers, some don't. And like all full time 4wd they have a center diff so that when mall cruisin like Tyler there is less stress on the transfer case for the sharp turns pulling into parking spots, since that creates difference in front and rear driveline rpm.
For instance, my 40 series doesn't have a center diff because it was not designed to be in 4wd full time, only when off road where there is little enough traction for the front and rear axles to differientiate in speed without undue stress on tcase. Center diffs were only added when full time 4wd was added. Other than full time 4wd vehicles, center diffs are always locked, so locking center diffs aren't really anything special, it just allows less stressful mall cruisin.
IMO, center diffs, especially computer controlled TCS ones are just another thing to break. Aren't necessary at all, full time 4wd itself is pretty pointless if you ask me. But then again the author drives a 40 with manual hubs and a finicky manual shift transfer, the epitome of K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) :slap:

Foiled again by Rogue!  :mad:  seem to be a minute behind on my replies.   8)

I hate it when that happens.

Hey Keep, is the For Sale site still up? I lost the link awhile back.
bigsmirk4.gif

Disco's do not have front or rear lockers OEM, only aftermarket. Series I Discos have the CDL or Center Differential Lock, I forget the specifics but the Series II either never had it or lost it soon after its introduction, IN NORTH AMERICA. The rest of the world gets it. But, the nut was left on the transfer case enabling you to fit it with a Series I mechanism or order an aftermarket kit to lock the center diff. A couple of years ago LR removed the nut so no aftermarket, warranty voiding CDL. ETC or Electronic Traction Control is the fall back but has many disadvantages and weaknesses (many discussions on backing down hills and some losing it and rolling). Do a search on DiscoWeb for CDL and those guys have debated it to minutia and the questions often turn into huge flame wars…hope I got this all correct, it has been awhile since I saw the light and steered away from the Disco's...but as I've said before, I'd still wheel with them! Check out the Iceland photos at: http://www.expeditionexchange.com/index.htm

CruisinGA,

full time 4wd itself is pretty pointless if you ask me.  

I have a friend with a part-time 4WD and he spouts this nonsense from time to time.  Full time 4wd as implemented by Toyota in our 80 series is a wonderful thing. Truly a marvel of engineering.  With the addition of the factory F&R diff locks an 80 is simply amazing.

Read http://www.safari4x4.com.au/80scool/george_couyant/diffs/diffs.html for a good explanation of the function.

There are many advantages to full time 4wd when you're talking about a multi-purpose vehicle. By this, I mean those of us that drive to work daily, live with rain, snow, dry, hot, cold. Drive short distances, drive off-road, drive at high speed, drive on bitumen, on dirt, on concrete. Haul 7 people, haul 2 people and dogs, crawl on rocks, play in mud, and all the things that people do with SUVs.  

Our FT 4wd provides good traction in all the above situations. When you need more traction, you just flip the little rotary switch to the left of the steering wheel and you get more traction. I could go on and on about the advantages but if you haven't experienced the pleasure of owning a FT 4wd then it might be hard for you to relate.

If you have a dedicated trail rig then PT 4wd is fine. Most of us will always do a lot more with our 80s than use them as a trail rig.

-B-

Lack of locking diffs, bad transmissions, leaky, bad electrics. Time to renew my D.R.E.A.D. membership

Detroit Rockers Engaged in the Abolition of Disco. :D

Honestly, ask average Rover owners randomly how they like their junk. Easily 50% of the folks in my own unscientific survey hate them and would never buy another.

LR's are quite capable vehicles but do take some getting used to. They will never be as bullet proof as a LC...resigned myself to that fact when I purchased a D2 in 99. $36k at the time for a fully loaded D2 versus an new LC at $55+k....a $20k spread....somebody is smokin something here. :slap: I don't s*** money and am quite capable with wrench in hand...and am aware that after this Sept. (when the warranty runs dry) I'll be getting more wrench time brought to me by LR. :ugh: But at least it's not IFS ;) and I still have my FJ's 62 & 40. :D

As others have mentioned the full time 4wd system in the LR has evolved ...albiet de-evolved. The early ones had CDL's. standard and there are the usual after market lockers available. With the advent of the D2, the early ones still have a CDL stub sticking out of the case so that you can purchase aftermarket linkages or solenoid operated CDL, in the later D2s, LR removed the stub making it more difficult to retro fit a CDL . As an "enhancement" LR added electronic traction control, hill decent control, etc...electronic gizmology intended for the complete idiot (IMHO). Benefits and lack thereof as mentioned above is often hotly debated. Fortunately, on the D2 this electro gizmology can be easily outwitted provided you have installed a CDL lever. With the ign off, you engage the CDL, turn on ignition and CDL will be engaged and ABS and ETC will be disabled.....yippeee it will now behave like my 62.

I actually really like the older Rovers and at some point in the future would love to have a number in the stable (Series II, Defender, even a 101 forward cab with a radio box...oh yeah I want a MB Mog too!) - very cool trucks. They may require a lot of maintenance, but similar to the early LC, you can probably field strip them with a basic set of tools and they are in use around the world.

That being said, the Discos do nothing for me (don't like the shape and very little storage room) both in terms of looks, performance and reliability. I much prefer a LC for a DD.

Cheers, Hugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom