Some suspension questions for a relative noob (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, really sorry if this has been done to death but I have done a lot of searching on this forum and various other places and I seem to have more questions than answers now. Every question answered is another 2 left in it's place.

Looking at suspension options for my 100. I'll start with my use case. 80% town driving, paved roads. The odd trip away, nothing too harsh offroad as I travel alone with no winch and have no wish to get myself into sticky situations. 2 inch lift is borderline unnecessary, but I am open to it. 285/75 r16, will be going to 17s and new tyres soon, and not wanting any extra width, but will go as tall as I can fit. So far 285/70 r17 seems the most common sizing. Ideally I want 265 width and to maintain the height of the 285/75s but this doesn't seem common or even possible.

170,00kms (105,000 miles) has seen the factory suspension a bit soggy and front drooped.
I would really like to maintain comfort and the plush landcruiser ride as much as I can, but when I do go offroad the potential for extra weight is there. Drawers, 2 fridges, rooftop tent, 80kgs of water, recovery gear, pantry stuff, gas bottle, 40kg powerbank etc. Easily 200kg+ could be added. Front of car is alloy factory bar, no winch, and a dual battery, nothing too crazy.

My questions:
Uprated Torsion Bars - Can I get these first, and install them without any other suspension components in place? Does no lift or 2 inch lift change the torsion bar I need? Looking at Dobinson's gear mostly. I believe I can achieve some extra height with these alone, and simply get some Dobinson's IMS front shock under there to replace the originals?

Front - Dobinson's IMS looks good. If I understand correctly, I need different length shocks depending on whether I choose to lift or not, correct? If I was to lift modestly with HD Torsion Bars, would this justify the longer shocks? At what point do I need to replace front springs too?

Rear - Here is where my questions lie. I can easily spec up the carry load to suit the odd occasions that I do load the rear, but I did this in my old Hilux and it was far too firm when empty for day to day use. It also doesn't make sense to buy for DDing and then overload it when I travel. Looking at airbag in coil rear setups, seems to make the most sense. Do I still purchase a slightly uprated coil, and then make up the difference with the bags? Or do I go with a normal weight (or lifted coil) and use the bags exclusively for loading up the rear? I do want a level ride at all times if possible.

Swaybar Links - I'm due for new ones as it is, I will need extended ones if I choose to lift, is this correct? If so, I will hold off on them until I have decided whether I'm lifting or not.

UCAs - Not entirely necessary and no real questions here, part of the reason I'd like to avoid lifting too much, one more part to add to the list, that and a diff drop. Although I don't want to ignore wheel alignment so if it becomes necessary I will get some.

So thats it, there's a lot for me to unpack here, and I'm a serial overthinker. Searching for these specific answers hasn't yielded much of a result, sourcing the parts is no problem, I just want to get it right the first time and not upgrade parts that don't yet need it. So I guess another, more general question is: is there a logical order I can do these upgrades in, that each step does not affect the next as far as parts choice goes?

Thanks for your help in advance, I know some of you have my answers ;) and I do apologise if some of them lie hidden deep in old threads already!

Your factory torsion bars should be fine. You may need to reindex them to get the lift your after. Under 2” lift there isn’t really a reason for extended sway links or diff drop. I’d suggest you try medium springs (std-plus 400 lbs, IIRC). I have OME. I love my tough dog shocks, which are adjustable.

Tire (tyre) selection will have a lot to do with the ride. If your not worried about doing things that would cause a flat, you can go with a P series instead of E. A 16” tire will also probably ride better overall.

I'll start with my use case. 80% town driving, paved roads. The odd trip away, nothing too harsh offroad as I travel alone with no winch and have no wish to get myself into sticky situations. 2 inch lift is borderline unnecessary
Reindex your existing torsion bars, buy new OEM Tokico shocks (USD $45/shock), add a 30mm coil spring spacer and airbags to your existing rear coil springs, then drive it. You don’t need aftermarket UCAs or extended swaybar links, or any of that other nonsense, and you sure as hell don’t need $1200 worth of IMS shocks to drive 80% on the highway. But it’s your money, so do what you want.

Your factory torsion bars should be fine. You may need to reindex them to get the lift your after. Under 2” lift there isn’t really a reason for extended sway links or diff drop. I’d suggest you try medium springs (std-plus 400 lbs, IIRC). I have OME. I love my tough dog shocks, which are adjustable.

Tire (tyre) selection will have a lot to do with the ride. If your not worried about doing things that would cause a flat, you can go with a P series instead of E. A 16” tire will also probably ride better overall.
About the adjustable shocks, I could adjust them to suit the heavier loads and back them off for daily driving? the 400+lbs shouldn't be too harsh when empty, surely.
Not sure on P series (passenger?) but will stick with the light truck construction all terrain tyre, I have had good experience with toyo open country, and looking at the falken wildpeaks or nitto grapplers also.

So you're suggesting a simple upgrade to the rear springs and shocks, no lift, and just crank the TBs?

Reindex your existing torsion bars, buy new OEM Tokico shocks (USD $45/shock), add a 30mm coil spring spacer and airbags to your existing rear coil springs, then drive it. You don’t need aftermarket UCAs or extended swaybar links, or any of that other nonsense, and you sure as hell don’t need $1200 worth of IMS shocks. But it’s your money, so do what you want.
Thankyou, the other nonsense was purely in the case I did go with a lift. I'm not against buying the good gear, as long as its correct. I believe coil spacers and also wheel spacers are illegal here in Aus

Thankyou, the other nonsense was purely in the case I did go with a lift. I'm not against buying the good gear, as long as its correct. I believe coil spacers and also wheel spacers are illegal here in Aus
Even if you installed a “lift” you still don’t need the other nonsense. 99% of The “lifts” just allow you to carry a bunch more weight without compressing the suspension to the bumpstops. They don’t increase suspension travel. And coil spring spacers are completely legal in Australia. Hell, all the Aussie suspension companies make and sell them.

Even if you installed a “lift” you still don’t need the other nonsense. 99% of The “lifts” just allow you to carry a bunch more weight without compressing the suspension to the bumpstops. They don’t increase suspension travel. And coil spring spacers are completely legal in Australia. Hell, all the Aussie suspension companies make and sell them.
So with 4 coil spacers, bags in the rear coils, and re indexed TBs, do you think I could achieve a level and greater carrying capacity without sacrificing too much comfort?

I must admit saying spacers are illegal was simply regurgitated info that I had heard once, it seems you are 100% correct!

So with 4 coil spacers, bags in the rear coils, and re indexed TBs, do you think I could achieve a level and greater carrying capacity without sacrificing too much comfort?

I must admit saying spacers are illegal was simply regurgitated info that I had heard once, it seems you are 100% correct!
Just wanted to point out the front end is supported by the torsion bars and not springs.

Two coil spring spacers, not 4, and you don’t want it level because it will ride like $hit. The rear needs to be 1” higher than the front. But yes, I know with 100% certainty that by reindexing the torsion bars and adding airbags + spacers in the rear that you will achieve better carrying capacity without sacrificing comfort.

Two coil spring spacers, not 4, and you don’t want it level because it will ride like $hit. The rear needs to be 1” higher than the front. But yes, I know with 100% certainty that by reindexing the torsion bars and adding airbags + spacers in the rear that you will achieve better carrying capacity without sacrificing comfort.
An inch of rake I can handle. Thanks very much!
Hopefully the new shock will reduce the front sag enough plus some help from the TBs. At the moment I'm looking at at least 3 inches of rake

An inch of rake I can handle. Thanks very much!
Hopefully the new shock will reduce the front sag enough plus some help from the TBs. At the moment I'm looking at at least 3 inches of rake
The shocks will have nominal influence on sag. Reindexing the torsion bars will have considerable influence.

Any lift is determined by the tension on the torsion bars and the size of the springs. As @JunkCrzr89 said, you don’t get more suspension travel, but you do add some body clearance. You may consider sliders to protect your sides. They pay for themselves the first time you misjudge a ledge/rock/stump. Mine have paid me back a few times after.

About the adjustable shocks, I could adjust them to suit the heavier loads and back them off for daily driving? the 400+lbs shouldn't be too harsh when empty, surely.
Not sure on P series (passenger?) but will stick with the light truck construction all terrain tyre, I have had good experience with toyo open country, and looking at the falken wildpeaks or nitto grapplers also.

So you're suggesting a simple upgrade to the rear springs and shocks, no lift, and just crank the TBs?
I can’t say enough good things about the Falkens.

My truck is a reflection of what you are contemplating, although with 16” tires.

D3EC7EE4-4959-4D6E-9EFA-44F43257206C.jpeg

I can’t say enough good things about the Falkens.

My truck is a reflection of what you are contemplating, although with 16” tires.

View attachment 2859563
These are the wildpeak AT3W or something, yes? What tyre size are yours? *EDIT scratch that I just saw your sig* your rig looks great, if that's what 1 inch of rake looks like then I will have no complaints whatsoever. Yours looks more or less level, and the ground clearance looks a lot more than mine.

Any lift is determined by the tension on the torsion bars and the size of the springs. As @JunkCrzr89 said, you don’t get more suspension travel, but you do add some body clearance. You may consider sliders to protect your sides. They pay for themselves the first time you misjudge a ledge/rock/stump. Mine have paid me back a few times after.
They are definitely on the list, have taken the standard ones off for the moment, poor man's lift, purely wank status of course, but I like the look and build of a lot of the aftermarket ones I've seen around.

As @JunkCrzr89 said, you’ll probably be happier with factory shocks if you’re after the plush ride. I wouldn’t call my ride plush, not harsh, but not plush. I’ve only owned the truck with these shocks. On the Tough Dogs, only the rears adjust, and the adjustment is for rebound rate. I like them stiffer on the road to improve handling. I “loosen” them when offroad.

As @JunkCrzr89 said, you’ll probably be happier with factory shocks if you’re after the plush ride. I wouldn’t call my ride plush, not harsh, but not plush. I’ve only owned the truck with these shocks. On the Tough Dogs, only the rears adjust, and the adjustment is for rebound rate. I like them stiffer on the road to improve handling. I “loosen” them when offroad.
I suppose 'plush' is very subjective. Coming from my 'harsh' +300kg rear leaf sprung Hilux I guess what I'm looking for more importantly is the 'not harsh' part of it. I do like a car that feels planted and responsive, and it doesn't have to be uncomfortable to achieve that. I may look into these adjustable shocks alongside the airbags, and stay with OEM shocks up front

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom