Some pictures of my speedometer repair and cleanup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
If you're having oil dripping onto your floor on the driver's side, looking like it's coming from the dash, then your oil seals on the speedometer driven gear have failed and it's literally pumping oil through your speedo cable and into your speedo. This was happening to me for a couple months before I finally tackled the repair. In my case, an FJ62, the fix was simple. Drain the tcase, pull the driven gear and its sleeve out (the metal sleeve it rides in is held in place by a small blate bolted to the tcase), replace the O-ring on the outside of the sleeve and then replace the oil seal inside the sleeve. At some point the seal inside my sleeve had fallen out and was missing completely. The new one also slipped right into place with no resistance. Absolutely no force was required to push it into place. This seemed odd, as I would've expected at least a snug fit for a new oil seal. I checked it with my vernier caliper's depth gauge and sure enough it was all the way in (22mm from the outer end of the metal sleeve) and seated. I lubricated it and the O-ring with gear oil and reinstalled. Piece of cake.

Cleanup of the mess, however, was a major chore. While my speedo cable was detached, I pulled the cable itself out and pulled apart my dash. I flushed about half a can of B-12 Chemtool down the speedo cable housing to rinse out the oil and contaminated graphite grease that I had lubed the cable with a few years ago. Since I was taking time to do other stuff that evening, I left it hanging loose overnight so all the Chemtool could evaporate out. I first pulled my lower air duct assembly so I could clean it out, and it was pretty gross. I completely disassembled it and soaked it in a 5gal bucket with about 75/25 water and Purple Power overnight.

20190902_115321.jpg

20190902_115319.jpg

While that was going I pulled the speedo off of my instrument panel and got the crazy idea to pull it apart and see if any oil had gotten inside. Oh it was worse that I suspected it would be.

Oil had definitely gotten into the housing.
20190901_152206.jpg

This doesn't look encouraging...
20190901_153217.jpg

Dude, damn.
20190901_152605.jpg

It took two cans of plastic-safe electrical contact cleaner to get all the grease and oil out of the mechanism. I was still careful to avoid the digits and the face of the speedo since I didn't want to damage the paint/printing on them.

After cleaning I gave all the plastic gears a quick squirt of silicon/teflon lube. They're slow moving components so I probably could've gotten away with nothing at all, but I figured what the hell. Couldn't hurt.
20190901_164157.jpg

Speedometer after cleaning. Looks much better.
20190901_162542.jpg

When I got everything all cleaned up and reinstalled, I relubed my speedo cable and reinstalled it into the housing. The speedometer itself behaves MUCH better now, and it solid as a rock, for the most part. Unfortunately there is no saving my cable, and it shows the telltale signs of a cable ready to give up. At about 60-70 MPH my needle will randomly jerk down to about 40 and bounce right back up. Most of the time it'll hold nice and steady, but the cable is definitely on its way out. Nice to know that I recovered the speedometer itself though.

So now I'm left with a conundrum. Do I simply replace my speedo cable (not too spendy from Partsouq), or go ahead and lose the OEM speedo in favor of a Speedhut GPS speedo. I am planning on converting all my gauges to Speedhut in the future, but what's keeping me OEM right now is needing a test/troubleshooting bed for my solid state voltage regulator project. Sure I could replace just the speedo for now and keep the OEM quad gauge until I finalize the regulator design, but the OCD in me would go nuts seeing a mix of OEM and aftermarket gauges.

Decisions decisions......

Right?? What level of OCD is more important, matching gauge panel, or accurate speedometer and odometer, hmmmm......

Right?? What level of OCD is more important, matching gauge panel, or accurate speedometer and odometer, hmmmm......
Lol yea sound like me. If it is going to be a minute before the speed hut gauges i would just replace the cable.

Great post - thanks for sharing. I'm dealing with this on my truck right now. Do you have part numbers for the O-ring and oil seal?
Yeah I guess I could've posted those in my original post. The O-ring for the outside of the metal sleeve is 90301-18004 and the oil seal for the actual gear is 90310-09001. Assuming you're doing this on a 62, these are the only two parts you'll need.

Yeah I guess I could've posted those in my original post. The O-ring for the outside of the metal sleeve is 90301-18004 and the oil seal for the actual gear is 90310-09001. Assuming you're doing this on a 62, these are the only two parts you'll need.
Thanks - just ordered the parts.

Anyone know if these are the same parts for a 60? 1983 fj60, opened mine up because my odometer stopped working and it’s gunked up with oil coming from the speedo cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom