Solid pinion spacer - which one do I need ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been offroading over the weekend and busted rear crown wheel. While I'm at it, I want to replace the crush sleeve with a solid spacer but don't know which one I need to order. Vehicle/axle in question is an LJ79 with o.e. 4.88 ratios (thin type crown wheel / offset pinion). Seems like the options are '4 cyl' or 'V6' , so which one is it ?

If the options are only 4 or 6 cylinder, then it would be the 6. The LJ’s got essentially the same diff setup as V6 4Runners and Pickups.

Out of curiosity, what is the advantage of a solid spacer? When I rebuilt the rear diff on an LN106 Hilux I had I used a stock style crush sleeve; it took a fairly massive torque on the pinion nut to get it to crush to spec. How is that accomplished with a solid one?

If the options are only 4 or 6 cylinder, then it would be the 6. The LJ’s got essentially the same diff setup as V6 4Runners and Pickups.

Out of curiosity, what is the advantage of a solid spacer? When I rebuilt the rear diff on an LN106 Hilux I had I used a stock style crush sleeve; it took a fairly massive torque on the pinion nut to get it to crush to spec. How is that accomplished with a solid one?

But I'd imagine the V6 4Runners and pickups came with a higher ratio, thus not having the thinner type crown wheel (since apparently that is unique to the o.e. 4.88 ratios) so I don't know if that has any effect on the pinion too since its offset.

Crush sleeves can deform abit over time losing proper preload, so you might have to tighten the nut abit to reset. With a solid spacer you start at it being short and set it up with shims to get the correct preload, rather then start with it longer and crushing it to length. Being solid it keeps the preload better.

But I'd imagine the V6 4Runners and pickups came with a higher ratio, thus not having the thinner type crown wheel (since apparently that is unique to the o.e. 4.88 ratios) so I don't know if that has any effect on the pinion too since its offset.
The part number for the original crush sleeve is 41231-24010, it was used on a huge number of Toyota and Lexus vehicles through the years including the 3.0 and 3.4 V6 powered 4Runner, Tacoma etc, but not the 4 cylinder 4Runners, Pickups and T100. ToyoDIY.com - https://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref?s=4123124010&mU=on I can't be certain, but I would think that if the solid sleeve is a direct replacement it should work in any application where 41231-24010 is used.

Crush sleeves can deform abit over time losing proper preload, so you might have to tighten the nut abit to reset. With a solid spacer you start at it being short and set it up with shims to get the correct preload, rather then start with it longer and crushing it to length. Being solid it keeps the preload better.
Ah, that makes total sense, thanks!

The part number for the original crush sleeve is 41231-24010, it was used on a huge number of Toyota and Lexus vehicles through the years including the 3.0 and 3.4 V6 powered 4Runner, Tacoma etc, but not the 4 cylinder 4Runners, Pickups and T100. ToyoDIY.com - https://www.toyodiy.com/parts/xref?s=4123124010&mU=on I can't be certain, but I would think that if the solid sleeve is a direct replacement it should work in any application where 41231-24010 is used.

Yeah that makes sense, my only concern is that in that list there are also the RN models which are 4 cylinder. I'm thinking maybe the crush sleeve would be common since it can be crushed down to various lengths but maybe the solid sleeve needs to be specific for its application. Maybe I'm wrong though. Either ways thank you very much for your input!

The only RN models cross referenced with that part number are the ones fitted with the 22RTE turbo engine, which got the beefier V6 style differentials and the R-series transmission. Does the vendor have any dimensions of their solid sleeves? If yours hasn't been crushed out of spec it may be worth measuring it to confirm one way or the other.

The only RN models cross referenced with that part number are the ones fitted with the 22RTE turbo engine, which got the beefier V6 style differentials and the R-series transmission. Does the vendor have any dimensions of their solid sleeves? If yours hasn't been crushed out of spec it may be worth measuring it to confirm one way or the other.

That makes more sense now... thanks again for your input!

That is what I'm trying to do, and I might have found what lengths both spacers are. The below is from the Nitro gear website, I'm guessing these dimensions are the spacer's length.

solid_spacer.jpg

And after some more research I found the below, which confirms what you told me that its the V6 type since its 50mm in length and the solid spacer (according to Nitro gear) is 1.81" (46mm).

spacer1.JPG
spacer2.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom