Solid Axle VS. IS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone give their opinion as to why they think one is better than the other? I know that from working/living on a horse/cattle farm that solid axle trucks are the only way to go for hauling large loads-whether they be animals or hay. This due to the stability in the suspension or counter balancing in a solid axle system. But how is this beneficial off road? In other words, an 80 vs. a 100.

Thanks.

[quote author=Jukelemon link=board=2;threadid=10006;start=msg88893#msg88893 date=1073916405]
Can someone give their opinion as to why they think one is better than the other? I know that from working/living on a horse/cattle farm that solid axle trucks are the only way to go for hauling large loads-whether they be animals or hay. This due to the stability in the suspension or counter balancing in a solid axle system. But how is this beneficial off road? In other words, an 80 vs. a 100.

Thanks.

[/quote]

You just answered your own question! The live axle allows both tires to contact the ground due to the suspension pivoting (or counter-balancing, as you mention). Naturally, tire contact=traction, which is good! I guess on an IFS rig, you could have diff locks to fix that problem, but the tires still may not be contacting the ground, leading to pitching of the body over certain terrain whereas the live axle suspension body would be more stable. I bet if you showed a customer a photo of a rig w/ live axle front w/ front and rear axles pivoted in opposite directions and all wheels contacting and level body and the same w/ an IFS rig w/ front of the vehicle leaning to one side, they'd buy the live axle rig! Unfortunately, TV commercials don't show this.

-Jim

Not to mention that lifting a solid axle vehicle is substancially less expensive than lifting an independant suspension vehicle.

Jim:

I do not think I answered my question. The reference to hauling did not really relate to off roading i.e. solid axle trucks carry more weight better due to the fact that loads can be distributed more equally across a solid axle. At 0 times do the wheels ever leave the surface.

It would seem that with IFS, the wheels would have more of a tendency to stay with the terrain underneath b/c it would be independent of what the other tires were doing. It might be a strength issue. That would make sense to me if that is the case.

Go about 1/2 way down this webpage ->
http://www.geocities.com/george_tlc/holl2k1.html

Some of the key pics - same terrain, same spot. Toyo 80 vs Toyo pickup IFS - which is level & which isn't... Which is more comfy - which is more stable? The link above shows a few more shots of the 80 vs pickup with IFS. Of course an 80 vs 100 comparo would be better - but none of my mates have 100's to compare with...

whoop2.jpg

whoop1.jpg

george.

[quote author=Jukelemon link=board=2;threadid=10006;start=msg88961#msg88961 date=1073925031]
It would seem that with IFS, the wheels would have more of a tendency to stay with the terrain underneath b/c it would be independent of what the other tires were doing. It might be a strength issue. That would make sense to me if that is the case. [/quote]

Not so. Ifs vehicles, with the exception of some extremely modified ones, have much more limited wheel travel than a comparable solid axle vehicle. Translating into less articulation, which translates into less likeliness you will have all four tires on the ground at any given point, which translates into less traction, which translates into meno trazione in Italy.

As far as durability is concerned, IFS vehicles normally have a less robust center differential, combined witht the fact that you have 4 CV joints in the front operating at less than ideal angles compared to two in a live axle vehicle operating 80% of the time at an ideal angle.

Ideal angle being when both inner and outer axles are in direct alignment with one another.

Thanks George. Jim, I suppose the hauling analogy does work for off road. You were right. Man, a pics sure helps.

[quote author=Jukelemon link=board=2;threadid=10006;start=msg88980#msg88980 date=1073927368]
Thanks George. Jim, I suppose the hauling analogy does work for off road. You were right. Man, a pics sure helps.

[/quote]

And not only that, but when only one front wheel is on the ground as with an IFS rig, those CV joints/bearings are supporting the entire weight of the front end!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom