Solar in Equalizer Mode: Fuse Keeps Blowing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have had the Solar in my truck for about 15 years, it has not been driven for the past 6 years. I now have it going again and I am trying to put new fuses in the Solar but when I connect the wires, the 15AMP blows.

I hook them up black, red, white but the 15 amp blows right away. The batteries were brand new last September, serial numbers very close, same brand size etc. Truck was used briefly last fall, then sat all winter as I don't use it in the winter. My black wire on the Solar is connected to the quick release negative battery terminal, not using chassy ground.

The batteries were charged every 3 months, right now after a 50 km run on the highway, and letting the batteries rest for a couple of hours, the low side is 12.65 volts and the high side 12.95 volts.

I am on my second Solar so not sure why the fuse is blowing, as soon as I connect the red wire, it blows the fuse. Is it because my batteries are 0.30 volts out of balance?

I removed my CD/Radio and reinstalled the original push button am/fm radio. I thought non stock radio was directly wired to my low side battery and was causing me problems. But when I removed it, I discovered it was wired to the 24 volt wire and then through a converter to give the radio 12 Volts, so that seems to be ok. No other draw on the low side battery.

Here is a picture of the 24 to 12 volt for the radio. Nothing written other than what you see on the small blue unit. I am assuming I am not "tapping" into the low side battery as it is 24 volts going in. When I have the radio on and push in the cig lighter, I blow the fuse, so the radio is on the same wire.

I have re read all the info I got from Greg Bowie but not coming up with any solution to the fuse blowing. Any insight would be helpful. I know this thread has been discussed in many places on the forum so don't want to waste peoples time with this, just wondering, is the Solar is damaged?

Thanks

Bob
64884CFD-F6B6-462B-A7A8-D1C79D503224 2.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG
IMG_0174.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom