Solar Charge Controller (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tried searching... Anyone run a solar charge controller under the hood? Any heat issues? I know 100 series engine bays don't get as hot as say 80 series so I figured I'd post this in this forum. I'm planning on running it on the back passenger side of the engine bay.

This is the controller I'm running: Amazon product ASIN B075NTT8GH

I run the next size up in my camper. Bluetooth app is pretty neat, don't know why you'd need it in a car though.

I run the next size up in my camper. Bluetooth app is pretty neat, don't know why you'd need it in a car though.

To charge the battery?

Up by the Firewall will be hottest area under the hood. Check over in Power Systems for more info

Here is a cross link I posted to the "Power Systems" thread.

Solar Battery Tenders

I have solar controller mounted in the engine bay. Has been in there since early this summer with no problems. I use it to keep my second battery in top condition since I park on the street and don't drive my Cruiser that often.

When I was researching, I found a few threads on Tacoma and FJ forums where folks have mounted Victron brand controllers in the engine bay with no issue.

Here is a cross link I posted to the "Power Systems" thread.

Solar Battery Tenders

I have solar controller mounted in the engine bay. Has been in there since early this summer with no problems. I use it to keep my second battery in top condition since I park on the street and don't drive my Cruiser that often.

When I was researching, I found a few threads on Tacoma and FJ forums where folks have mounted Victron brand controllers in the engine bay with no issue.

Thanks for the feedback!

Water would be the main issue rather than heat in my opinion.
Most of the cheaper controllers (Amazon, Ebay) dont seem to be by any means water resistant. I'm panning to get one for my dual batteries soon.

Amazon product ASIN B01N1ZL9EK

My vote is mounting high up in the passenger side footwell, under the glove compartment. Unlike some of the other Victron chargers that are IP65/67 rated, the solar charge controller is only IP43. There's plenty of room to put it up there without it getting in the way and you have easy access through the firewall for your connections.

My vote is mounting high up in the passenger side footwell, under the glove compartment. Unlike some of the other Victron chargers that are IP65/67 rated, the solar charge controller is only IP43. There's plenty of room to put it up there without it getting in the way and you have easy access through the firewall for your connections.

I was just reading that thanks. That’s a little farther from the battery than I wanted but it’s better than overheating and killing output to the battery. I might even see it I can do drivers side.

I was just reading that thanks. That’s a little farther from the battery than I wanted but it’s better than overheating and killing output to the battery. I might even see it I can do drivers side.
Since you mentioned you wanted to mount it on the passenger side firewall, I assumed you had a second battery in that location. Plenty of room on the drivers side as well. I'm planning on running the same unit along with a Victron AC charger and monitor, but I've already got heavy gauge cable running to the rear drivers side and will probably do a battery management panel where the OEM subwoofer is. As long as you factor in voltage drop and use the appropriate gauge wire, you can mount it wherever it makes the most sense. Of course, if you're using the remote temp sensor, you'll have to factor that in as well.

Since you mentioned you wanted to mount it on the passenger side firewall, I assumed you had a second battery in that location. Plenty of room on the drivers side as well. I'm planning on running the same unit along with a Victron AC charger and monitor, but I've already got heavy gauge cable running to the rear drivers side and will probably do a battery management panel where the OEM subwoofer is. As long as you factor in voltage drop and use the appropriate gauge wire, you can mount it wherever it makes the most sense. Of course, if you're using the remote temp sensor, you'll have to factor that in as well.

Nope, I went back to single battery. I'm just coming down with the solar wiring on that side of the vehicle so I was going to put it there. No remote temp sensor, keeping it simple.

Nope, I went back to single battery. I'm just coming down with the solar wiring on that side of the vehicle so I was going to put it there. No remote temp sensor, keeping it simple.
In that case, find a nice spot behind the lower dash, above the pedals, to mount the controller, poke a hole in the firewall grommet and run your wires. Very easy.

I emailed Victron about putting it in the engine bay and here was their response:

Not the best place to install any electronics.

So best to look for a better, cleaner and cooler place.

There's decent airflow right behind that headlight. I haven't had the Redarc ever get too hot.
Do you have any pictures of the Redarc mounted behind the passenger headlight? I am curious to see how you configured the mount.

15792942007304833609212154119087.jpg

15792942378687663126225946352081.jpg

Video link that shows a little more detail:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom