Softer shocks for LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
for daily driving. I am not a avid off roader and want to switch out my OEM shocks to little softer shocks. Which ones would you recommend? ALso, will changing the shocks change the height of the vehicle? My garage is tuckunder and I have minimum clearance.
Thanks for your help.

Swap with a LX450 owner. Those shocks are infamous for being too soft.

Geez, you should have bought a Caddy!!!

I run Pro comp ES3000 on my landcruiser. I love them!! and I didn't have to pay $140 a set!!!! Only $97.00 for all 4.

Tim

Yep - I would suggest you try the LX450 setup - apparently 'softer' springs (I think I recently read in a post that the shocks were different as well?). Mine is stock and quite soft. I'm trying to switch to OME in the new year.

Cheers, Hugh

Does it feel realy firm only in winter time or it does it also in the summer?
Shock could freeze up once they went bad.
If you want softer shock then the LX450 are valved softer or even cheapy gabriel or monroe would be softer.

[quote author=waldrtw link=board=2;threadid=8841;start=msg76435#msg76435 date=1071591891]
I run Pro comp ES3000 on my landcruiser. I love them!! and I didn't have to pay $140 a set!!!! Only $97.00 for all 4.

Tim
[/quote]

It is a Land Cruiser for goodness sake. Why buy a car that was $50k new and throw wal-mart shocks on it? ::) :D

I would strongly recommend *against* the LX450 shocks if you are going to stick with the stock Michelin LTX tires. The combination of the LX450 stock shocks and the Michelin stock tires creates troubling side to side motions on highway undulations. Changing to a tire with a stiffer sidewall solves the problem. I'm sure there are other soft shocks out there that don't exhibit this behavior. You'd be better off with something else. Believe me, I own an LX450 and I've read up on it and it is a well-known problem.

I agree - avoid the LX450 shocks. I recently swapped them out for new OEM LC shocks and found them to be an improvement all around.

DO NOT get the LX 450 shocks and spring setup. I got mine with 50,000 miles and was blown away at body sway and lurching at hwy speeds. Downright scary in a quick maneuver.
Sean.

It may be the spring, not the shock which is to harsh.

What code spring and shock do you have?

Basically, it is everything stock except the tires. I have Bridgestone Dueler HT (Which I think stinks in winter).
I know it is a truck and there is a ryhme and reason for the stiffer springs or shocks but every small pot hole, every bump, every little things I go over, I feel and results in loosening some of the internal trim parts, muffler hangers snapping, and so on and NO, it is not just winter, this is ongoing from late summer.

Have you checked to make sure that you actually have the stock shocks? Also, does the ride get better or worse with people in the back? Reason I ask, the stock shocks are great when the truck is empty but way to soft when loaded. Result when you put a load in the truck with the stock suspension the truck tends to buck.

Cary

shedguy- according to "the man" (cruiserdan), the springs on the LC and LX450 are the same, it is only the shocks which are different. So it isn't the springs, it's the shocks. Like we said, avoid 'em like the plague. There are much better options out there, esp. for a setup with stock tires.

Hey, I am from the South and Walmart is a family name down there!! If the high prices make you think things are better than I feel sorry for ya..and I got some land I could sell you!!

Tim

I just went the other way- Changed out stock 450's for KYB Monomax. Quite a bit stiffer ride. Personally, I didn't get the uneasy stability feeling I've heard a lot about, but I'm not running the Michilen's either. I changed mine out at 67K. Too much jiggling on the pot holes.

Also, shocks don't affect vehicle height.

Rookie2.

[quote author=MNCruiser link=board=2;threadid=8841;start=msg76831#msg76831 date=1071669102]
I know it is a truck and there is a ryhme and reason for the stiffer springs or shocks but every small pot hole, every bump, every little things I go over, I feel and results in loosening some of the internal trim parts, muffler hangers snapping,
[/quote]

Are you sure the truck still has the stock shocks? I can't believe how smooth my 80 is. It just eats speed bumps and washboard. In fact for bumps and such I think it's smoother than my 1992 Camry which rides really good. Something's up, I've never heard of anybody thinking the stock ride was harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom