Soap Box Race (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lentelconstruction.com
So I have entered my son in a charity soap box race. We pay to enter and the kit is picked up from the local Tsawwassen Rona. We have to come up with our own accepted braking system. Anyone here have experience with Soap Box Cars? Tips on speeding it up? Probably not the best site to ask on when the idea of winning is how slow can you go.

clip_image002.jpg

THE ROTARY CLUB OF TSAWWASSEN

In partnership with

THE CORPORATION OF DELTA

Present

THE INAUGURAL SOAP BOX DERBY

JUNE 4, 2016

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR

THE DRIVER/BUILDER TEAM

1) Race day is Saturday, June 4th. Start time is 10 am, but carts must be at the staging area by 9. The staging area is at Milsom Wynd and 6th Avenue with the racetrack down 6th Avenue to between 52nd and 53rd Street. (see map on reverse)

2) There will be a cart inspection and practice runs on Eden Crescent on Saturday, May 28th between 9 and 12am. All carts must be inspected on this day during these times and your cart number will be assigned and the number decal installed.

3) Parents/guardians of children participating will be required to sign waivers prior to participation.

4) When dropping off carts please approach the staging area from above on 6th Avenue. Please drop off and park elsewhere; do not park in the staging area.

5) All drivers must be between 9 and 12 years old on race day. ID’s will be checked.

6) All drivers must wear good quality single impact helmets, long shirts and long pants, and gloves. Elbow pads are strongly encouraged.

7) Maximum weight of cart and driver is 75 kilograms.

8) To insure fairness, each cart must use the steering hardware, axles, and wheels provided in the GoKit. No substitutions will be permitted. Full instructions and templates to build the basic cart are included in the GoKit. . We encourage imagination and enthusiasm in construction and prizes will be given for the most interesting and exciting designs, as well as best race times. Carts will be held in place from the front before launch, so please insure the nose is strong enough to handle this task.

9) The plywood provided with your GoKit is designed to build a 48 x 22 inch cart. Maximum size is 60 x 24 inches at the builder’s additional expense. All carts must include a brake that operates on both rear wheels. Various brake plans are included in the GoKit; we like the one with the pivoted arm that brakes one wheel from the front and the other from the rear.

10) Please remember to thank your sponsor for providing you with the opportunity to participate.

ROTARY CLUB OF TSAWWASSEN

INAUGURAL SOAP BOX DERBY

JUNE 4TH, 2016

RACE DAY MAP

clip_image003.png

The Rotary Club of Tsawwassen would like to thank all of our sponsors for participating in our inaugural soap box derby. We would like to give special thanks to the Corporation of Delta for their enthusiastic participation.

I don't have any experience with soap box cars, but did race a few home built cars in high school drafting class and the only tips I have would be make the wheels and everything really strait and true, least amount of resistance, try to make it as heavy as you can and aerodynamic as you can ;) Also based on the rice rockets out there on the street, the more obnoxious the colour and the bigger the rear wing, the faster you go ;)

Good luck! and have Fun!

So making it look like a 40 series isn't the way to go?:)

My dad made one back in the 60's, it was shaped like an upside down canoe, with really thin flexible
plywood skin and 3/4" ply wood ribs. Front axle was a single center pivot for steering, using coated clothes line
for cable. I think it was just like a power boat with the cable around a drum under the dash, and pulleys to
the floor out the sides to the ends.
Brakes, they were a hinged door out the bottom so when pedal was applied it dragged on the ground with
a piece of old tire as a ground pad. I remember it was really well made, and went like hell.
Had lots of fun, he made it in Vancouver. We moved to Guelph Ont, and I do know that my brothers took turns
sitting in the car on the top of our '63 Biscayne wagon at 75 mph across the praires!! Try doing that with your kids now
and not going to jail, I miss the good old times. We are all still alive.

You can come and scoop up the turd your mutt left in my back yard while you're in TTown as well. Don't make me rub your nose in it there Dutchie...

I was hoping Jack would drop a few more deuces in your yard while we use your garage as the Pit Garage.

If the wheels don't have bearing and are just bushings put bearings in. If any of the tires are inflatable over inflate. I'd love to see the plans they give you so I can get a better understanding of what they want for a brake

Here is the soap box so far. It won't win for aerodynamics but it will look like a mini me of my Transit Connect.
IMG_20160525_201537.jpg

I'm sure you have some orange paint laying around.... Looks great! I'm sure the kiddos will have a blast...

Those are regulation wheels? I remember ours being 8-10". Looks like fun, what did you do for braking?

Those are the required kit wheels. Passed safety inspection and weigh in today. Allowed total of 75kg driver and car. We were 71.2kg.

Built a second one for another company. They were 3lbs under weight.

Attached photos of the braking system.
IMG_20160528_144550.jpg
IMG_20160528_144542.jpg

Two wheel brake. Interesting concept. So could skid one wheel into a donut? Cool!
Raced it yet?

Is this the finished product? I'm seeing this on CBC news website
I don't know how to edit the kid out of the pic. Dont' think it's too important since it's
on the news. How did your son do?

Soapbox derby beats video games say young, thrilled racers in Delta

View attachment 1269688
That in the back ground is the finished product. We weren't the slowest or the fastest. My son won two out of three heats but they were slower heats. I think we had too much wind resistance. The faster cars seemed to be simpler. If you watch the news clip in the second frame I am pushing my son and his friend to the start. It was a lot of fun until right in the second last quarter final and car skidded into the crowd and took out a 78 year old man. They had to call and ambulance but he did seem ok in the end. They ended up calling the race there and just took the fastest combined times. They have decided to ban the two handed breaking system for next year. Apparently the accident helped them realize it's important to keep at least one hand on the steering when braking :)
IMG_1305 (003).JPG
IMG_1307 (002).JPG

That in the back ground is the finished product. We weren't the slowest or the fastest. My son won two out of three heats but they were slower heats. I think we had too much wind resistance. The faster cars seemed to be simpler. If you watch the news clip in the second frame I am pushing my son and his friend to the start. It was a lot of fun until right in the second last quarter final and car skidded into the crowd and took out a 78 year old man. They had to call and ambulance but he did seem ok in the end. They ended up calling the race there and just took the fastest combined times. They have decided to ban the two handed breaking system for next year. Apparently the accident helped them realize it's important to keep at least one hand on the steering when braking :)View attachment 1270601 View attachment 1270602

Hey van Tol check out the cheering section in the rear of your first photo...

Dam sailor that thing looks like your work truck your rockin in. Looks like a great family day for sure. I have found memories of the bug building days

Hey van Tol check out the cheering section in the rear of your first photo...

That is too funny; mini sailor watchin' the mini vanny

Vanito is taller than his dad already, not like that is a big achievement or anything...

Like father like son. The mini Sailor is in awe of the mini Vanny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom