soa vs. su (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok im trying to weigh it out.
one day i want to go SO.for sure.
but i havent talked to anyone about just how much this will cost.i want to stay with the stock springs,cut&turn,stock shackles,and histeer .i will do the work/except for cut n turn.
my ? is.
is the cost of this SO swap around the same as a 600 dollar SU skyjacker.ive done searches and nobody ever speaks of the dirty green stuff.i dont wanna make that mistke of buying something only to hate it when others with SO wheel right by me.
im just on a budget so i guess the bang for the buck theory is all i can think of
please help with this issue.
thanks
shawn

The HySteer costs about $450, at least mine did. The perches about $35 from Summit. I didn't cut and turn, so I can't help you there. Also got new u bolts from Spector About $90 IIRC. &nbsp:Don't forget the price of the drivelines. I did mine last month, so far I like it, I went from a 3 1/2" SU and 33" tires to 37" tires.

If you try and perform the SOA for the same relative price as SUA, you are shortcutting the project and it will most likely be unsafe.

IF you have the fab skills to do it all yourself, you might....but....

Histeer arms and rods: $450+
Shocks: $120+
Traction Bar: $100+
New front shock towers: $35
Brake line changes: $50+
Knuckle rebuilt kit: $100+
Perches: $40
MIGHT need new driveshafts to fully use available travel: $300-600?

ALL this assume you do all cutting/turning and labor yourself. You can shortcut many of the above items, but IMO the SOA project is one to do right the first time. (Hate to say it, but there are little things on mine I'm still nickel-dimeing to death...)

New front shock towers:  $35

Why new shock towers?

Just a warning, it's the hidden costs in a SOA that kill you. Replacing hardware, drive-shafts, shocks, steering, etc. Right now, I'm @ $100, but I haven't paid for drive shafts, shocks, steering yet, not to mention tires. I'm looking to spend a little over $500 total. I did all my own fabrication, including the perches, and I am putting a full hydro steer on. I had access to a welder, torch, and all sorts of other tools, not to mention "free" metal for odds and ends of things.

I'm on a college budget and I plan on having it done by spring break. Someone on this board said "However long you plan to spend on a SOA, you will talk about 2 months longer, and spend about $500 more."

New front shock towers:  $35

Why new shock towers?

If you run the stock height factory towers, you cannot install a shock that fully utlilzes the available travel...switching to a Ford shock tower allows use of a 14" stroke shock and maximizes travel. (see "Cruiser Facts" for the p/n)

$280 is only arms...now price in rods and ends....and SOR freight/handling...lol

$450 is a package deal, rockbuggysupply.com has a great price, as do a couple others places.

I believe you can specify the package contents/application and get one that would work with a 60 series....allprooffroad.com, rockbuggysupply.com, marlincrawler.com, ottindustries.com, rockstomper.com, and more are places to look...

well what about crossover steering? is that cheaper? or is that the same as histeer.
i wont be doing this for awhile but i want to be solid on what im looking at for stuff. just in case deals come along.

Effectively the same....crossover could be considered a double arm on the passenger side and the stock arm on the drivers side, but for the $$ you may as well go histeer right away.

Smart to deal shop early.....VERY smart....

thanx guyz
im gonna run a shackle lift and 33's for now,that will be the cheapest lift until i can do it right the first time :D

Where are you going to get the shackle lift from? I was also interested in doing a SOA, but I thought it would be cheap due to the fact I can fab most of it myself. I though that changing the steering was optional, at least for a while. I'd like to stuff 33's on, maybe 32's, but I really think I need to get the FJ40 up off the ground a little first before buying tires. If anyone has a used hysteer, or any other misc. lifting type parts, please email Daileyka@hotmail.com SU or SOA? Life is full of difficult decisions!

i have a number but no clue who the bussiness is.1-866-670-0055
80 bucks for greasables.2 1/2 or 1 1/2.
good deal or check ebay.
that will get you 33's with rear fender trim or 32's no prob.
my buddy runs 33's with no lift and rear trim

Where are you going to get the shackle lift from?  I was also interested in doing a SOA, but I thought it would be cheap due to the fact I can fab most of it myself.  I though that changing the steering was optional, at least for a while.  I'd like to stuff 33's on, maybe 32's, but I really think I need to get the FJ40 up off the ground a little first before buying tires.  If anyone has a used hysteer, or any other misc. lifting type parts, please email Daileyka@hotmail.com  SU or SOA?  Life is full of difficult decisions!

imo steering is the first thing that needs changing on an FJ-40 or 55, it is just too weak for large tires. Saginaw or Scout is the way to go for 35's or bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom