SOA help... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok. In a spring pack, from the center pin, there is a long and a short side. I've been told the shorter side is stiffer so that is why it is put towards the xfer case so as to help with axlewrap. I guess sort of like a traction bar...My ? is, what is gained or lossed by turning the spring 180 degrees? Wheel base, flex, what...?

So then would I have problems with the pinion angle if I turned the spring and if so, would a traction bar help?

There will be very minimal difference in performance if you flip the springs, the main reason people do it is to add (or decrease in some cases) wheelbase. You will have axle wrap no matter what you do most likely so I would plan to use some traction bars. It will probably affect caster though, if you are SOA on a 40 you will need to cut and turn so take your measurements, 1) with weight on the vehicle to see what your OEM caster is set at before flipping the springs, then 2) flip them, see what the caster differences are, and try to get it 4-6 degrees above what your OEM setup was for steering (arms farther from the ground) and point your pinion up towards the t-case. Then you should have a good idea of how much you need to cut and turn..

Hope it helps!

Another ?, why is the pinion angle so critical? What damage does it cause if the angle is too steep?

pinion angle is important with it's relation to driveshaft joint operating angles.

http://www.4xshaft.com has some nice tech info. Incorrect u-joint operating angles creates vibrations in the driveline and increases wear on all bearings, joints, seals, etc.....tho your butt gets a nice massage.

Easy to correct with shims, but something to be aware of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom