SOA '72 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's a pic of my '72 FJ40 after I did a SOA.

Looks good! Are those stock springs or lift springs with your SOA? Wanna drive to Arkansas and do mine next ;)

Those are 2 1/2" lift springs. Sorry, but you'll have to take a number. Just started on a '70 FJ40 for a friend.

Another pic of the '70 FJ40 on index ramp.

I didn't rotate the knuckles at all. I mounted the perches parallel with the stock perches. So far I haven't had any problems with anything. It wheels great. :)

without doing a shackle reversal, and keeping the shackles in front as pic'd, the cut-turn is not a requirement, since the pinion rotates up during extension and decreases the bind problem found with SOA's and reversals.

Nice lookin' project!

I've found out that the shackel reversal is way overated. If you keep your tierod ends in good shape and keep all the slop out of the steering there is no need for one. Of course the Scout PS doesn't hurt either.

George, maybe I am not seeing it correctly, but in the first picture, it looks like the rear shackle is inverted. What is up with that?

Rocrawler, what perches did you use? So you just paralleled the bottom perches front and rear? Can you use the mini truck power steering with a SOA conversion? I was under the impression that you HAD to cut and turn if you went spring over. I don't plan on doing SR anyway. This gives me hope on actually tackling this job myself since I can weld pretty decent. Thanks for any input.

Medusa, looks like a double shackle set up maybe?

True, I guess I didn't think about it long enough 8)

I used Mopar perches, got them from Summit for $12.95 a pair.
It is a double shackle setup, and no it's not inverted, that's the way I set it up. It added about 4" more drop to the rear. Sorry I haven't seen the mini truck PS setup, as far as I'm concerned Scout is the way to go. I am using the mini truck front disk brakes though.

Yes those are the ones. :D. The only one that's not a straight weld on is the one on the passenger side front. You have to grind one side of the perch down to fit over the diff.

It is a double shackle setup, and no it's not inverted, that's the way I set it up.
I am curious why you set it up that way. Below is a blowup of the shackle region of your original photo:
OdelShackle.jpg

It is a little hard to see, but it looks like the double shackle is pinned to the frame in the front, has the hinge in the rear and the primary shackle is definitely inverted (pointed forward). This arrangement is backward from the normal installation of a double shackle as shown below:
revolver.gif

What advantage to you gain by setting up the double shackle backwards?

what did you use for a front drive shaft, mine binds right now, and thats with stock spings! i would appreciate it.

Hope you have a good roll cage! LOL

After my spring over, and before the wide axles, if you looked at an obstacle funny my cruiser went belly up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom