SOA 70 series questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking about doing a SO on a 75 and just wondered if you guys had any thoughts or experience. I have done it on my 40 and 45 but never a 60 or 70. I know the bottom gusset is squared off and may look funny after the cut turn. I think that will be cleaned up with a new looking gusset. A very knowledgable lister will do the knuckles. I guess my questions are if you were doing this, what extras are there to consider? I want the stock springs or maybe a little lift. Still trying to figure out the tire size we want. The rear is limitless at its just a cab chassis. Anyways I figured you guys have the trucks and experience so why not ask you. Any other considerations other than those that go into a 40? Thanks for your time.

bcon said:
I am thinking about doing a SO on a 75 and just wondered if you guys had any thoughts or experience. I have done it on my 40 and 45 but never a 60 or 70. I know the bottom gusset is squared off and may look funny after the cut turn. I think that will be cleaned up with a new looking gusset. A very knowledgable lister will do the knuckles. I guess my questions are if you were doing this, what extras are there to consider? I want the stock springs or maybe a little lift. Still trying to figure out the tire size we want. The rear is limitless at its just a cab chassis. Anyways I figured you guys have the trucks and experience so why not ask you. Any other considerations other than those that go into a 40? Thanks for your time.

most 70's fit 33's with out any lift, with a 2.5 lift/under axle sprung, you can fit 35's with no problem what so ever.

How high and big do you want to go.....? 35's look great IMOP on a 70 series.

But they also look very at home with some 235/85 r16's(32 ish).

Mr. Eric Blase, I thought it was you

:grinpimp:

If you look at the ends of the axle housing, the part where the actual cut-and-turning takes place is actually still round. No issues there. As far as the perches, they can be notched a bit to fit the housing.

Wow, a sprung over 1990+ 75 series in California. How unthinkable . . .

Dave

I am looking at using the same tubing cutters as used on my 40 and it will hit the gusset. I just dont like the idea of grinding the welds off when I have a 6" tubing cutter. Just one concern... As far as the 75 in CA, not the first, not the last. For some unknown reason like most people in this section, we dont advertise exactly what we have. Imagine that... I am working for myself now and the freedoms associated with that allow me to spend more time and money on the cruisers. We have drastically improved the fleet from my first 40 in 96. So bare with me as I we start the SOA and engine swap on my brothers newest truck. I will probably have numerous questions. And by all means I will try to answer what I can where I can. Thanks again.

As far as tires, I think I would like 37s on this one I think. I know I want more than 35s just not exact. Still in the process of picking the purpose of this one other than to not look like the others. Everyone seems to have 33 or 35 and I just like to be different. Thanks.

I am no expert on cut and turn procedures, but you don't want to cut too far past the original factory welds or you'll pass the inner sleeve. Search the 40/55 section on a thread started by mustardfj40 on how this mistake was done by an apprentice at an established shop.

The square section ends a good few inches before the factory welds. Too bad I cannot access my bare axle housing anytime soon to take some measurements.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom